Monday, May 4, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 05/03/20: Slow and Easy Going, Superb Dinner, Yakkin' with Debbie BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. I relaxed all day. I wrote a little bit. I worked several crossword puzzles. I melted taco cheese on a flour tortilla, put two scrambled eggs on top of that, sprinkled some feta cheese on the eggs, and rolled it up. I ate it. Somehow, such a slow and easy day fits almost perfectly with my temperament, which, I guess, is also pretty slow and easy going.

2. I love to cook, but over the last several days, Debbie has been on a roll in the kitchen. We still had some of that eggplant, white bean, onion, and garlic tomato sauce left and Debbie sauteed some mixed greens (kale, spinach, etc.)and folded them into the sauce. She split a spaghetti squash in half, baked the halves, and served the sauce over each half and made another awesome green salad.

Thanks to this delicious dinner, my contentment today grew.

3. While Debbie taught in Eugene and then helped out in New York with the arrival of Ellie, our newborn granddaughter, we lived apart for most of the time between September of 2018 and March of 2020. During that time, I figured out all sorts of ways to enjoy my life alone in the house and worked all the time to try out new ways of enjoying living on my own: cooking, eating Sunday dinners with Christy, Everett, Paul, and Carol, going to Spokane for concerts, playing trivia in Spokane with Kathy, Mary, and Linda, hiking with Byrdman, Friday breakfasts with the guys at Sam's, other outings, often with Ed, to Montana or Worley, watching movies, messaging with Stu in the mornings, watching a ton of men's college basketball, going to basketball games at the high school, watching every game I could played by the Ducks' women's team, diving back into Shakespeare, and other things. I documented it all in my blog over those months.

I had almost forgotten how much I enjoy shooting the breeze with Debbie. Tonight, Debbie talked with her music mates and close friends, Laura and Peter -- they are in Eugene -- and, when she got done, Debbie and I sat up for a while. I fixed myself a small pour of George Dickel Rye Whiskey with a few shakes of bitters and we gabbed about all kinds of things, but a lot of our yakkin' was about personal temperament and how temperament informs so much of what we all do, how we all respond to things, and how we make our way through our lives.

I'm not ready to write much more about this right now. I mightily enjoyed talking with Debbie about this subject.

I can say that.


It's Teacher Appreciation Week, and Stu wrote this limerick:

Before this strange time of home schoolin'.
Thinkin' teachers had it easy class rulin'!
Now with History and Math,
And earning your wrath.
You ask yourself, who were ya foolin'?


No comments: