Thursday, May 21, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 05/20/20: Sprawling Along, Egg Stir Fry, *Shetland* Conclusion

1. Bleak House keeps sprawling along. More new characters, more episodes, some hints at ties between seemingly unrelated things -- I'm wondering what the connection is between Lady Dedlock and the deceased opium eater, for example. With each chapter, I become more and more absorbed.

2. We are trying to limit trips to Yoke's to about one every 7-10 days -- usually, I go when the half gallon of milk runs out. I made a trip today. When I returned home, I cooked some chopped onion, cabbage, and celery together in vegetable and sesame oil, boiled some broccoli until it was about three quarters done. I boiled a pot of sticky rice. I put the broccoli florets in the cast iron pan with the other stuff, added in the pot of rice, and broke four eggs over it all and added some soy sauce. I hoped this would go over all right -- it's one of those ways of preparing food that I enjoy a lot, but I'm unsure others would like. I didn't need to be concerned. Debbie and I both enjoyed this meal a lot.

3. We watched the conclusion of the Shetland murder story we started last night (Season 1, Episodes 1-2). As is often the case when I watch murder mysteries, I enjoyed the actors playing character roles, the relationships between characters, the back stories and history of the place (including arresting scenes from the island's fire festival, Up Helly Aa), and watching the inspector partnership between Perez and McIntosh develop more than I enjoyed or really cared about the solution to the case.


Let me add, I started today in an uplifting way. That Tuesday night hour long concert that Bill Davie played last night -- the one I gave up on trying to listen to live? I went back to Bill’s Facebook page and tried again listening to the concert. Success! And, as a bonus, Bill played three songs on a virtual open mic, hosted by The Black Dog coffeehouse in Snoqualmie. Bill’s short set was a joy and, as another bonus, the live stream worked beautifully this evening.

No comments: