Saturday, November 21, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 11-20-20: Everett Update, *1619*, Jeeves and Bertie

 1. This was Everett's third full day at Shoshone Medical Center. To better accommodate the different devices his medical team uses as aids to Everett's physical therapy, his team moved him to a larger room. Paul and Riley found the new room. Riley visiting from outside his window made Everett very happy again. Christy reports that a routine has developed in Everett's treatment, especially on M-F. Christy's latest update describes Everett and his situation as stable. Today, Christy returned home from the hospital a little bit earlier, with Everett's encouragement, which meant she could spend some quality time with Riley and get some much needed rest at the end of a demanding week. 

2. Over the last year, historians, politicians, and interested readers from all points of view have been discussing the project spearheaded by Nikole Hannah-Jones known as 1619. The New York Times Magazine published the project in August of 2019 and the newspaper published some accompanying material at the same time. I've never seen that August 14, 2019 issue of the magazine, but I have followed some of the discussion surrounding it. 

I was poking around in Podbean, the app I use to find and listen to podcasts. I was looking for podcasts that might be related to Reconstruction and to How the South Won the Civil War and the six episode podcast that grew out of 1619 popped up. I enjoy listening to podcasts when I go out walking, so while I walked down Riverside, jagged over to Cameron, headed up Jacobs Gulch, climbed the stairs below the Wellness Trail, and returned home via the trail to the high school and Riverside again, I listened to the first episode of 1619. It covered ground I was familiar with from other reading and other documentaries. That was good. The repetition helped fix this history more firmly in my memory. I enjoyed listening to another history that put the African-American experience at the center of the story of our country's history and I look forward to listening to the other five episodes and more walking.

3. The subject matter of my reading and viewing recently has been heavy. It will continue to be. But, on occasion, I like to take a break from all the seriousness (usually by watching sports) and did so this evening as I fixed myself a dinner that combined the tomato, tofu, chickpea mixture I made the other night with linguine. A couple of months ago, I added the audio file, The P. G. Wodehouse Collection to our audible.com library. It's quite an anthology of some of Wodehouse's Jeeves and Bertie stories and (I think) one of his Jeeves novels. Tonight, I listened to three Jeeves and Bertie tales and laughed out loud at the absurd pickles Bertie got himself into, only to be rescued by the resourceful and unflappable Jeeves. Wodehouse's plots are hilariously ridiculous, but what makes Wodehouse addictive to me is his mastery of English. Many of my guffaws tonight had less to do with what happened in the tales but more to do with how Bertie describes what's happening, his vacuous interior reflections upon things, and the many ways Jeeves quietly, almost mystically, delivers Bertie from thorny social situations back to safety again. Bertie never ceases to be staggered when Jeeves saves his bacon once again. 

No comments: