Monday, June 7, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 06/06/2021: Eloise's Baptism, Family Party and Imagining Being with Ted, Five Deer Enjoy Dinner

 1. Debbie and I hopped into the rental car and dashed over to Grace Episcopal Church in Nyack, NY to join the rest of the family for the baptism of Eloise. The service took place in the courtyard adjacent to the church's building and we all moved chairs into the shade of a generous tree. Even though the baptism took place at 9:30, the morning was already hot and it was a relief to be out of the sun. 

I hadn't worshiped in person for well over a year. Entering back into the rhythms and the language of the Episcopalian liturgy was deeply satisfying and I loved being a part of the family's and the congregation's collective vow that we would do all we could to help Ellie make her way in the world, to instruct, protect, and love her. 

2. After the baptism, we all returned to Josh and Adrienne's house for a party featuring a light and delicious strawberry shortcake cake, blueberries, strawberries, macaroons, a plate of delicious assorted candies, and other treats. We'd had bagels from Nyack Hot Bagels before the baptism and I was especially happy that there were plenty left over and so I ate a couple of those. It was especially fun to see Sally. I hadn't seen her since Josh and Adrienne's wedding. Being with Sally again made me happy in the moment and also brought up a lot of memories of times we spent with Sally and her late husband, Ted, back when Debbie and I lived in the east. I missed Ted today. When I was by myself I imagined conversations we might have had during this party about golf and basketball and other things and thought a lot about what a kind and fun friend he was.

3. Debbie and Sally teamed up and made a pasta salad and a three bean salad and Debbie marinated chicken tenders in the refrigerator. Josh grilled the chicken for dinner and the salads were terrific, reminding me of how much more variety in food Debbie and I enjoy together when we are living under the same roof. 

After dinner, as the sun began to set, four adult deer and a fawn visited the trees and grassy area between Josh and Adrienne's lot and the next door neighbor's. I stood on the lower deck for over a half an hour just watching the deer calmly munch on grass, leaves, and other vegetation. Their calmness calmed me. Eventually, they made their way up to the street, crossed it, and, I suppose, moved on to other suburban pastures. 

No comments: