Saturday, June 19, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 06/18/2021: RIP Norman Knott, Burger Feed at Christy's, Patrick and Meagan Bring a Beer Supply

 1. Ed and Stu came by the house and we piled into Stu's truck and glided up to the Kellogg's Greenwood Cemetery to pay our last respects to Don Knott's oldest brother, Norman. I enjoyed seeing a lot of people I knew and thought it was a good thing that we all heard Norman's obituary read and said the Lord's Prayer together. The Greenwood Cemetery is a gorgeous resting place for decades of people who are buried there or whose ashes are in one of the several columbaria in a series of walls. 

After the graveside ceremony, we all made our way down to the Elks Club for a burger feed. I had a burger feed coming up on a short while at Christy's tonight, but I enjoyed a couple of cans of Miller High Life, a great beer to my taste! I got to yak with Harley, Riles, Barney, Keith, and others and felt slightly euphoric drinking those two cold beers and having a bunch of good laughs.

2. I returned home and spent some time just sitting with Luna and Copper on the back porch, seeing if we might enjoy some time outside together. We did. Luna and Copper were very content sitting near me and occasionally wandering down on the deck or grazing a bit in the grass. 

Before long, I sashayed over through the gate between our yard and Christy's and joined in some conversation and, before long, Lura announced that the burgers were ready to eat. We also had potato chips and potato salad and a fine selection of condiments for the hamburgers. Lura was happy with how she cooked the burgers (deservedly so) and she was really happy with the tasty ground beef that came from Yoke's. 

I love Keith's burgers up at the Elks. It was difficult to turn one down. But, I had to put family over fraternal order. I was really glad I did. The LuraBurger was delicious as was Christy's potato salad. It's always a treat.

3. I knew from text messages that Patrick and Meagan had arrived in Kellogg a little earlier. They rested for a while in their room at the Silver Inn, just down the street and popped in at Christy's. Meagan hadn't met several family members and introduced herself. After a bit, Patrick informed me that he and Meagan had bought some bombers at Iron Goat Brewing in Spokane. When the time was right, I dashed over to the house to inspect the beers and refrigerate them and popped open a wonderful blonde ale and split it with Meagan and Patrick. Later, I popped back over brought back a bomber of Goatmeal Stout. It was like pouring espresso and chocolate brownie out of a bottle with a nice bite of bitterness at the end. 

Meagan, Patrick, and I decided to go over to my place and share some more beer and Molly asked if she could join in. YES! So I retired to the living room with a small glass of session IPA called Junior from Structures Brewing in Bellingham. This beer was a little bit old, but it had been refrigerated ever since Hugh brought here and we all agreed it tasted perfectly fine.

Meagan, Patrick, and Meagan talked about a variety of things in the kitchen. I relaxed in the living room, half listening to what they had to say, but trying to give them their privacy as youngsters to talk without an old man like me eavesdropping very hard.

I had a little bit of another IPA. The party moved into the living room. Conversation continued to be meaningful and urgent, but before long, Zoe arrived and gave Molly a lift home and by 11:00 I bade Patrick and Meagan farewell and hit the sack. 

No comments: