Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 06/14/2021: Coffee with Ed and Jake, My Wardrobe, Garden Party at Carol and Paul's

1. Ed was in town this morning taking care of some business and called me to meet at The Bean for a cup of coffee. I vaulted into the Sube, screeched over, and, lo and behold, Ed had run into Jake at Subway and invited him to join us. In the comfort of the mild morning, we yakked and laughed and I learned what Ed and Jake had been up to over the last couple of weeks. Jake was happy, not only that today was his birthday, but that Remember When, the band he's in with Carol Lee and Al Callahan, helped make Harley and Candy's 50th wedding anniversary party at the Elks a huge success. Ed had a good time at the anniversary party, too, and had been at a benefit the night before at the Osburn VFW Hall for a guy he worked with who is seriously ill. 

2. I wanted to make sure, today, that I was set as far as clothes for this Saturday's Celebration of Life for Everett. Christy and I discussed what I might wear and whether I needed to buy a new suit. We decided that I didn't need to, that if I wore fresh pants (with a belt -- no TSA drawer dropping, please) and a long-sleeved shirt, that would be appropriate for the occasion. I was grateful. I would have done it had Christy asked (and still will if she changes her mind), but I was a bit relieved that I don't need to go clothes shopping this week.

3. Carol and Paul invited Christy and me over to their house to join them and Zoe and Molly for a garden party. Christy brought gin and tonic and limes and we each made ourselves a cocktail and sat on the patio and talked about a bunch of stuff, including details for the Celebration of Life. Things seem to be falling into place. If anything needs to be ironed out logistically, that can happen at the church on Friday afternoon. It also sounds like things are in place for the reception that will follow at Carol and Paul's house, in the back yard. I have a general outline in mind and partially on paper for the eulogy I'll present and I know what my other tasks will be as the officiant of the service. 

I like that things are in pretty good shape this far in advance. Christy has a lot of support from family and friends who will help do the tasks that need to be carried out and everyone seems to be on board and ready to get things done. 

Oh!

If you haven't heard or seen the notice, here are the Celebration of Life details:

When: Saturday, June 19th, 2021

Time: 11:00 a.m.

Place: Mountain View Congregational Church (once known as The United Church) on West Cameron Avenue, across the street from our house and Christy's

Reception to follow at Carol and Paul's: 7 Diamond St. in Kellogg

No comments: