Monday, June 28, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 06/27/2021: Zooming in the Green World, Lunch at the Old Montana Bar, Luna and Copper Deal with Heat

 1. My day started this morning about as superbly as a day could begin. Over my morning coffee I did some final preparations for the 10:00 comedy Zoom meeting and got three passages from As You Like It ready to go to help substantiate points I'd be making with the other Westminster Basementeers about the pastoral green world in literary comedies. For me, it was refreshing to dive back into this subject matter and discuss rejuvenation, rebirth, gaining perspective, slowing things down, healing, and the other aspects of what stories, poems, and even music portray as happening in the green world of nature and I enjoyed contrasting it with the striving, fast paced, often unforgiving city (or court) world portrayed in many literary works.

We talked about yet another way that literary comedy helps us see the tight connection between vitality and goodness. We discussed laughter as a means of catharsis and as a way we bond ourselves to others. Laughter also sweetens our perspective and this laughter doesn't just grow out of "funny" things that happen: it also grows out of the sheer joy of reconciliation, confusion being clarified, forgiveness, acceptance, generosity, and the other positive human experiences comedies portray and explore.

I also loved returning to the second act of As You Like It and looking at Duke Senior's vision of the wonder with what the Arden Forest has become to him in his banishment, at Orlando's commitment to serving the needs of his aged companion Adam, and, best of all, the way Duke Senior disarms Orlando when he comes into the Duke's camp, ready to do sword battle for food, and suddenly realizes there's no fight to be had. Duke Senior will generously give him all the food he wants to satisfy his hunger and to deliver Adam from starvation. He tells Orlando, totally grounded in the spirit of comedy, "your gentleness shall force/More than your force move us to gentleness." I love this moment. I loved returning to it this morning and sharing it with my fellow Westminster Basementeers.

2.  Soon after the end of the Zoom meeting, Christy, Carol, and I vaulted into Christy's Outback and glided over Lookout Pass to Saltese, MT and the Old Montana Bar. 

Everett's son, Gene, and Gene's wife, Diana, are camping north of St. Regis and we hopped over the hill to join them for lunch. 

It was a really fun lunch. I'd never spent time with Gene and Diana and I enjoyed the conversations and what open, friendly, and kind people they are. At one point, I playfully confessed that I'm addicted to gambling and that I was going to throw a little money away and play a machine on the other side of the room. Gene joined me and we played for a little while, but no luck. I've had some luck on these machines other times, but, today, the games I played were a little tight. No problem. I was fun to spin some reels and fun to do it with Gene.

In a way I really enjoyed, Gene reminded me a lot of Everett. He's easy going. He sometimes talks sort of like Everett. He has some physical gestures and facial expressions that are similar to Everett. I didn't know this about Gene and I think he's very fortunate to have been and to still be carrying these qualities of Everett's forward. He did not, however, tell any jokes about a seeing eye chihuahua or a misplaced hearing aid!

3. Back home, I was relieved that the house had stayed pretty cool and that Luna and Copper seem to be finding ways to stay comfortable during this heat wave. I don't understand why, but on these hot days they often trot upstairs, the hottest part of the house, and lie down on the futon we have up there. Copper often rests under the futon where I would think it's cooler, but Luna seems to enjoy sunning herself by the window by the futon. 

Sometimes, in this heat, Luna and Copper will go outside where it's hot. Luna lounges in the shade and Copper likes to find a place to hide in the high weeds I have growing on three sides of the yard.

I wonder if Copper and Luna have some genetic connection to big cats on the savannah. I wonder if they are acting out something ancient that lives within them and allows them to live out scenes in their ancient memory and if, at some level, they are experiencing what it's like to be a puma or a lion in the heat of the lands of their origin. 

Maybe not. But I have fun imagining such things and having such thoughts.  


No comments: