Friday, December 3, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 02/02/2021: Time Traveling to 1977, Jordan and the Bulls, Pork Braise Keeps on Giving

 1. A few years ago, I read Jonathan Mahler's riveting book, Ladies and Gentlemen, the Bronx is Burning, a history of New York City in 1977, centered on the New York Yankees tumultuous and highly successful season of that year. 

Today, I listened to the first two episodes of Slate's podcast, One Year: 1977, here. The first episode focused on Anita Bryant and her role, first in Dade County, Florida, and later nationally, in opposing protections for gays in the workplace, securing housing, and other areas of everyday life. The second episode the early days of the Carter presidency and how its efforts to relax marijuana laws blew up, thanks to what was alleged to have happened at a NORML (National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws) party near Dupont Circle in December of 1977. 

2. I'll return to this podcast and, over time, listen to the other episodes. It's bringing back personal memories from 1977 I'd like to sort out -- I'm not quite sure how I'll go about that.

I'll also return to watching more episodes of the Chicago Bulls/Michael Jordan docuseries, The Last Dance which I started watching this evening. So far I'm enjoying it, especially as The Last Dance looks back at NBA action from the late 1980s and as it presents the back stories of Scottie Pippen and Dennis Rodman and the impact both players had on the Bulls' dynasty in the 1990s. 

3. Debbie turned the braised pork I made on Wednesday into an awesome pork stew with dumplings tonight. The braise made a perfect foundation for the stew and Debbie's addition of boiled red potatoes and dumplings gave the stew great flavor, texture, and body. The really good news is that we still have a meal's worth left of this stew left over. 

No comments: