Sunday, December 26, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 12-25-2021: Family Gift Exchange, Coma Sleep with Copper and Luna, Jolly Juice and Dinner at Christy's

 1. Around 10:00, Debbie and I joined Christy, Carol, Paul, Zoe, and Molly at the Roberts' for a Christmas gift exchange. Carol laid out a German pancake, a variety of fresh fruits, sausage links, a variety of fruit juices, and coffee for us to enjoy while we all took turns opening gifts. Family members gave me great gifts: beer, books, a Maryland hoodie, a DC Brau T-shirt, a Radio Brewing T-shirt and they also gave Debbie and me some shared gifts like a collection of barrel aged bitters, a book of Mediterranean recipes, Mediterranean spices, and some high quality salami with Murray's white cheddar cheese. 

2. The combination of our evening party of Christmas Eve and the excitement of this morning's gift exchange wore me out and moved me to give Copper and Luna their favorite gift: my company on the bed! Luna attached herself to my chest, neck, and shoulder, purring like a motorboat, and eventually Copper pressed himself against my lower legs. Before long, I fell into a blissful state of coma-sleep. I stayed in the bedroom for nearly three hours and emerged restored and refreshed.

3. It's a good thing I got some rest. At 6:00, Debbie and I joined Carol, Paul, Zoe, Molly, and Christy at Christy's house for a clam chowder dinner. Christy made a very delicious and creamy vegetable clam chowder that Mom used to make around Christmas time (I think), Zoe and Molly teamed up to make cheese bread in balls that were arranged like a Christmas tree on the pan, Carol brought white and red sangria, and Debbie and brought a salad and pesto to dip bread in. I also brought over brandy and white creme de menthe for anyone who wanted a stinger after dinner. 

We started our dinner with a cocktail Christy fashioned and named Jolly Juice, in memory and in honor of Everett.  It was a combination of lemon vodka, limoncello, and lemonade. We topped of this cocktail with some tonic water, a favorite move of Everett's. Christy took her place in a chair and the rest of us gathered around her for a Christmas family picture and we raised a toast in memory of Everett. 


No comments: