Wednesday, December 29, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 12-28-2021: Thank You for the Birthday Greetings!, Zags Blowout, RIP John Madden

1. On Facebook, I posted a note of appreciation for the many birthday wishes people posted to me on Monday. I was not expecting to then receive a whole bunch of belated birthday wishes.  I loved reading these greetings. I enjoyed seeing the list of names of people who clicked on "like" or posted 💕 s. I relished the cherished memories each name stirred in me,  memories of Little League baseball, playing ball at the Y, being at Whitworth together, putting on plays at LCC, working in the English Dept at LCC and having friends across campus, and more additional memories than I can list here, I enjoyed the feeling of having lived an extravagant life, full of great friends and family and enjoyable everyday experiences. I let that feeling warm me on this day when the weather was cold but not my countless treasured recollections. Thanks everyone! 

2. I put together a plate of salami slices, Cracker Barrel Vermont White Cheddar slices, and saltine crackers and cracked open a 16 oz can of Miller High Life beer and watched the Zags methodically defeat the North Alabama Lions, 93-63. I always stick with these blowouts because I like to watch seldom used Zags play toward such a game's end. But as Coach Few emptied the bench, my Amazon Fire Stick temporarily crapped out, so I didn't get to watch the bench warmers in action. Oh, well. With a reboot, the Fire Stick worked again, but by then Judge Judy was holding court and I turned off the Vizio and turned my attention elsewhere.

3. The great John Madden died today. He was 85 years old. He was a very successful head coach with the Raiders, a legendary analyst, and a video game icon. I watched videos of him on YouTube for a while today. I watched some Ken Stabler highlights -- in my mind, the Snake and John Madden are inseparable. I watched some of Madden's comic bits -- his analysis of NY Giant Gatorade buckets and a Dallas-Washington game when pigeons were on the field. I've lost interest in football over the last several years, but I enjoyed that when I did care about football and watched a lot of it, that John Madden was prevalent in my experience, whether waving his arms as a head coach or providing exuberant insight as a broadcaster. 

No comments: