Sunday, May 6, 2007

Gardening Disasters: Sibiling Assignment #19


Inland Empire Girl cooked up this assignment. You can find her piece here and SilverValleyGirl's is here.

I'll begin with a confession. My most successful gardening occurred when I wasn't married. With wife number two, we never really gardened, but after she and I divorced, I decided to take it up. When the Deke and I got married, gardening just didn't work for me any more. I really think the way I lean toward autonomy, wanting to be left alone, and a streak of stubbornness makes me very difficult to garden with.

I don't want to follow planting plans. I want to the opposite of what books say to do about where to put things. I try to be different. I always liked the way my yard looked. Things were unbalanced, colors were not coordinated, and I liked putting flowers and herbs and bushes in peculiar places. Once the Deke and her kids moved in, this approach didn't work any more and I lost my interest in gardening. Contracting meningitis also injured my gardening spirit as did the accompanying bouts with depression and fatigue.

When I did garden, I planted daffodils, tulips, lilies and other flowers near the public sidewalk in front of my house. I refused to use a roto-tiller. I shoveled well below the depth needed to plant bulbs and brought the soil from deep in the yard to the the top and put the soil near the top below it.

I loved doing this. It looked like I was digging graves, but the results were magnificent as I worked organic fertilizers and bone meal into that soil from below and my flowers were gorgeous.

The problem was that many people who walked the streets at night also thought they were gorgeous. I mean, maybe it's not much of a disaster, to have flowers stolen, but I grew those flowers to brighten up my yard and to possibly provide passersby some beauty to uplift their spirits.

Neighbors complimented my work again and again. But, each year, I'd lose more and more flowers to flower thieves.

One morning, I was sleeping in the living room because I felt like it. At about six a.m., the phone rang. My next door neighbor told me that two women were out front mowing down my flowers. They didn't have a power mower or anything, but they were cutting everything they could get.

By the time I pulled on some jeans and put on a T-shirt, the women had finished denuding my beds and had moved to my next door neighbor's garden on the other side.

I confronted them. They both had an armful of my flowers.

One of them said, "Oh! I'm so sorry. I didn't know they belonged to anyone. Here. You can have them."

I muttered the Lord's name in vain and few other profanities under my breath and accepted their offering.

I pulled out every vase and glass I needed and put them in water. I kept some in my house. I gave them away to friends I knew enjoyed flowers.

My garden looked like hell.

The women who robbed me wore the tracks of hard life on their faces. I'm sure their plan was to sell the flowers.

In every single case where someone cut my flowers, I knew that if these people had come to my door and asked if they could have some, I would have happily grabbed some scissors and selected flowers for them, or told them to come back when the timing was better.

But, it's not how flower thieves roll.

Friends often suggested that I not plant flowers in the front yard. They reminded me that I had a lot of room in back.

I didn't want flowers in the back. I wanted to drive or walk home and see all the color in the front. I wanted to be welcomed home by my flowers.

But, that was then. I keep thinking that one of these years, I'll go back and start over again and plant flowers again.

I loved bringing them to life and into bloom.

6 comments:

Christy Woolum said...

I remember that had happened right before I came to visit one summer. I wondered if that was what you would write about. Your flowers inspired me to create flower gardens so I do hope you take it up again someday. I thought your gardening style was trendy. :) I loved that you mixed stuff and didn't follow rules. I loved the Shakespeare theme garden. I always think of you when I see Stargazer lilies. I also remember the story about the little girl that stopped and called your yard "flowerland". I loved that. Yes, you need to take it up again someday.

Pinehurst in my Dreams said...

I wonder if the flower theives ever come by and think that they were the reason you no longer plant flowers. . .

Katrina said...

That would be disheartening, to put so much love and effort into something only to have it thoughtlessly denuded! And those poor women--imagine being so desperate that stealing flowers under the cover of night seems like a reasonable thing to do. :(

I think you should start again, too, and post the pictures on your blog. (In pictures, your flowers will live forever!)

MarmiteToasty said...

Do you think they were pikies and they were gonna sell them in the next street door to door.......

x

raymond pert said...

IEGirl How good of you to remember so much, esp. that the little "flowerland" girl..that was very sweet!

Pinehurst im Dreams: I don't think the thieves think that. I think they look for flowers where they are, not why they are not somewhere any more.

Katrina: I agree. I could see by the worn down, beaten up looks on their faces that they were desperate. I hated that. I suppose if I were a better man I would have said, "God Bless You! Go make all the money you can with my flowers." At that moment, I was not a better man. I agree about pictures, too. That's a lovely idea.

MarmiteToasty I'm honored :) The usual mode is to get a bucket, put water in it, put in the flowers, and sell 'em at a busy intersection. I'm afraid these women were so leathery and desperate looking that they knew door to door wouldn't work.

thanks all for you comments...you've made me think a lot about growing flowers out front again...bless you all

JBelle said...

Talking to my brother this morning who has a gorgeous building on Sherman Ave in CdA. Told him his place was letter perfect except he needed more flowers in his planter and that with his exposure and site he could potentially have the most beautiful perennial garden in North Idaho.

He told me they cut back on their flowers because the public steals them, pees in them, lifts their dogs up to do the deed in them (this way the dog isn't in the gutter of the main street of town) and otherwise abuses their flowers in such creative manners that his blood pressure was suffering. The thing that amazes me about his story is his beds are raised planters and this is a very, very nice office building. I wouldn't spit out a stick of gum on the sidewalk in front of his place for fear security would catch me on camera and discipline me accordingly.

The ones I like are the ones that walk their dog in front of our house and let their dogs utilize our lawn for personal purposes and then smile big at us as we glare down at them from the front porch. If my family would let me have my bb gun on the front porch, those people and their dogs wouldn't even walk by our house! Nope they don't want our flowers. Just our lawn.


sigh.