Sunday, May 20, 2007

Three Beautiful Things 05/19/07: Masks, Slob, Kurosawa

1. I'm appreciative and gratified that quite a few readers from Sunday Scribblings have responded to what I wrote about masks. (Sunday Scribblings is here. My piece is here.)

2. The Deke has told me repeatedly what we had for dinner tonight. It's French. It's from the south of France. It's a warmish salady dish: tuna, little tomatoes, green beans, baby red tomatoes, marinated in herbs and olive oil. Spectacular. If you want the name of it, ask me and I'll ask The Deke. She's the French speaker in our family. I'm the slob.

3. Have you seen Kurosawa's 1962 film noir movie "High and Low"? I watched it today. I'd seen it once before about twenty-two years ago and the memories of enjoyment flooded back. It's a fine study of moral conflict, class resentment, and the Americanization of Japan. It runs almost two and a half hours. If you've seen it, I'd love to know what you think.

2 comments:

Christy Woolum said...

Is it a recipe that I could add to the memoir? Did she have a story behind it? Just this blog note about it could be good. Now... bring the recipe!

myrtle beached whale said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog. You will enjoy my response. Just because I don't always comment doesn't mean I am not reading. This SS has created a monster of me. I hadn't written in a very long time. I look forward to each week's prompt.