Friday, June 10, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 06/09/11: Chinese Movies, Guest at Church, Billy Mac Mirth

1.  My WR 121 student from China, MD, came to my office so we could slowly and carefully go over her essay.  MD is a good thinker and structures her essays very well, and needs help with grammatical elements of English.  We finished her paper.  Then I asked her about a couple of my favorite movies from China:  "Beijing Bicycle" and "Shower".  She hasn't seen either movie, but we had a great talk about movies in the USA she enjoys and what kinds of movies, made in China, she's likely to see and which are hard to find, as independent movies, in China:  like "Beijing Bicycle" and "Shower", two, what we would call, indy movies.  I think MD and I will stay in touch.

2.  A little later I ran into FE, another student who has completed her spring term work, and we got to talking about things and we started talking about church and she invited herself to visit St. Mary's Episcopal church and I told her I'd be happy to have her join me at church and help her know when to stand, sit, kneel, and so on and I think she'll be at the 11 o'clock service on Sunday.  (I told her it's Pentecost Sunday and that it's traditional to wear red and she liked the sound of that!)

3.  Billy Mac's tonight.  Wow!  Stories about when some of us were in musicals in high school or played in high school band.  Anne sang her Hobbit solo, Lynn sang her oboe solo, and I tried (and failed) to sing my two line solo from "Brigadoon" (as Stuart Dalrymple).  Later, Russell and I moved indoors and watched the last quarter or so of the riveting fifth game of the Mavs/Heat series.  We were astonished by the bloodless daggers Jason Terry and Jason Kidd scored from beyond the 3 point arc and continue to be astonished by Dirk's play -- we were also wondering what the hell's going on with LaBron James.  Has any player in the NBA ever had a triple double that had a smaller impact than LaBron's did tonight?

No comments: