Thursday, June 9, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 06/08/11: World Lit Papers, Search Committee Work, Movies

1.  Having read several strong final essays from my World Lit course, I'm feeling more and more secure that my students had a good experience thinking about and feeling the impact of the stories and poems as well as the ideas explored by writers and filmmakers from around the world in the 20th and 21st centuries.

2.  I'm on a search committee in our department.  We are looking to fill a two-year, temporary, full-time position.  (I held such a position at Whitworth from 1982-84.)  Search committee work at LCC is tedious, byzantine, and tiring:  and we haven't even seen applications yet.  But, our committee is so talented, so fun, so smart, so devoted to doing the job right that the pleasure of working with my fellow faculty relieves me of much of the tedium.  Thank goodness.

3.  MM dropped by after the search committee meeting and we had a really good talk about movies.  I realized that since I started taking more pictures and started organizing them and posting them that I don't watch as many movies.  It's not a bad trade off, but when this school year is over, I've got to watch more movies and MM's enjoyment of "Somewhere" made me think that it's a movie I've got to see.  Likewise, his enthusiasm for the HBO series "Treme" has me inspired to see it.  I've also got to see "Walk on Water", another Israeli movie and one that MM has mentioned several times.

No comments: