Thursday, June 16, 2011

Three Beautiful Things 06/15/11: To Do List, Coffee and Poetry, Molly's Comfort

1.  It worked so well (no sarcasm) over spring break, that I decided to make a list of things I need to do now that summer break is here.  The list helps.  I knocked three or more things off of it today and I'm on the brink of knocking a few more things off tomorrow.  Just getting some lingering bills paid is a relief, as is sorting out the pile of papers and stuff on my desk.

2.  KF was one of my favorite students in ENG 106 and ENG 109.  During ENG 106, I met with her once a week and we looked at poems and talked about poetry and other things.  Now, not even twenty-one years old, she is taking off to the midwest to begin graduate studies in criminology.  Today we met at Divine Cupcake (a funny little place on West 11th) for coffee and looked at some Adrienne Rich poems and talked about a variety of things, and bid each other farewell.  She has a huge challenge ahead of her.  I hope we'll keep in touch so I'll know how she's doing.

3.  This week's food theme has been Keep Molly Fed with Comfort Food!  She's pregnant and craves comfort and spicy stuff.  Tonight I fried up a couple pieces of bacon, sweet onion, diced potatoes, ground beef, portobello mushrooms, sweet peppers, and kernels of corn and we rolled it up in a flour tortilla with avocado and tomatoes and sour cream and Frank's Original Hot Sauce as condiments.  It worked.

No comments: