Saturday, January 16, 2010

Three Beautiful Things 01/15/10: Kat, Dylan, J. Alfred

1. I plopped down at the counter at Brails for some corned beef hash and hash browns and eggs, delighted to see Dana as my waitress, read a couple poems from the anthology The Body Electric, when Dana's mom, Kat, strolled in, plopped herself down beside me, and we talked and jawed and remembered and pondered all through our breakfast. It was a pure delight.

2. The delight grew when Dylan strolled in, plopped himself at the counter, and after an actor to actor hug, we talked and jawed about Free Banana (his band) and about what each of is up to and rued for a moment that, right now, being in plays is not what either of us has time to do.

3. Katy came by my office, as she enjoys doing on Fridays, with her wonderful list of questions about poetry, and she delighted me by wanting to hear what I had to say about T.S. Eliot and "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock". I hadn't had a conversation with anyone about this poem for a long time and all sorts of intellectual and emotional pleasures woke up within me and I felt something like pure pleasure as I reflected upon what I think is happening in that poem.

No comments: