Sunday, November 26, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 11/25/17: Hill Top Breakfast, Trip to CdA, Snacking and Yakking at the Daft Badger

1. Ed's son Darren came over the hill from CdA to have breakfast with his dad at the newly remodeled, newly owned Hill Top Cafe in Kingston. Ed invited me to join them and I happily accepted. The remodel is rustic, very handsome. Independent of one another, we all ordered a chicken fried steak with eggs and hash browns. I had a biscuit with mine. My steak was tender and the gravy on top of it was creamy and meaty. I was particularly happy with the golden biscuit. It was light, slightly crunchy -- which I liked -- and made me think that a biscuit and gravy order would be delicious at the Hill Top. Ed, Darren, and I yakked for nearly an hour. It was a fun time and it was heartening to see the Hill Top up and running again and to see a pretty good number of people come in.

2. Of course, with the work being done to our house, we don't have a living room or a kitchen. Patrick is here, and our only available room to host him is in the basement. The three of us decided this afternoon that we needed to get out of the house and so we took a drive to CdA. I took a slight detour and we drove along the shores of Beauty Bay on Lake CdA, observed photographers with camo coated telephoto lenses snapping eagle pictures, and then drove on into CdA proper.

We stopped at Fred Meyer and then went down to Independence Point where the Deke and Patrick took a walk and Patrick snapped at least one really good picture. I stayed in the car and worked online getting my library account updated and ordered a copy of The Iliad to be picked up at the Kellogg Public Library.

3. We ended our visit to CdA at the Daft Badger. I didn't want to drink any of my favorite beers at Daft Badger because their alcohol content is pretty high. Instead, I ordered a glass of Washington Gold Cider's Golden Delicious along with a very small sample of Josiah's Revenge, Daft Badger's superb Imperial Stout, to see how the cider and stout blended -- hmm, pretty good. Patrick, the Deke, and I had a good visit, enjoyed an order of bread and artichoke dip, and were back in Kellogg by about six o'clock.

I am finding that having our house partially disassembled makes me want to crawl into bed where things are orderly and comfortable. So, I did. I messed around online reading and playing around while the Deke and Patrick watched The King's Speech in the basement.

I felt secure in the little cave of our bedroom and in the comfort of our new bed and before long fell into a deep sleep.

No comments: