Thursday, November 23, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 11/22/17: Cornbread Dressing, Picking Paint, Pub Time

1. I jumped right on my Thanksgiving dinner duties this morning. I picked up a few items at Yoke's and came back to Carol and Paul's and baked a pan of cornbread, toasted it, fried up some pork sausage, sauteed onions and celery, chopped up some parsley, lightly beat an egg, and measured out some chicken broth and in a couple of hours, PRESTO! the best side dish of all, dressing, was cooked and ready to be warmed up for tomorrow. My original plan was to make oyster dressing, but I wanted to use fresh oysters which would have required more effort than I wanted to put out in the midst of all the chaos of being displaced from home while the remodel project is underway. Maybe next year...or maybe sometime in the next few months I'll give it a go.

2. After Shawn, the contractor, came over to Carol's to talk about this and that with the Deke and me, the two of us bolted out to True Value Hardware for further consultation with Robin. The Deke purchased a couple of quarts of paint as samples and I'm not sure what she thinks of them after she brushed them on the walls. We do know, however, that Shawn will have us look at the paint color on the walls after the first coat and if we want it changed, we'll change the paint before he applies future coats.

3. The Deke and I needed a break from the work site and all that comes with it, so we drove to Wallace and plopped ourselves down at the thinking table at the City Limits Brewery and Pub and enjoyed a couple short pours of beer. I enjoy their Sunset Red -- a fine red ale -- and the Deke was happy that one of her favorite styles, Black IPA, was on tap. After a while, we decided to eat so we split an order of fish and chips.  They hit the spot.  Mom always called the City Limits the Outer Limits -- not the Twilight Zone -- so the Deke and I do, too, and this afternoon we left the Outer Limits in a good mood, ready to move forward and eager to see Patrick upon his arrival from the Spokane Airport, thanks to a ride from Molly and Cosette.

No comments: