Wednesday, September 19, 2018

Three Beautiful Things 09/18/18: Maggie Needs Surgery, The Return of Hot Wings, A's Lose

1. Soon after the Deke was up and around, she saw that Maggie had begun bleeding from near where her tail would be, had it not been cropped. She took Maggie to the vet and Maggie has a growth that needs to be surgically removed. Maggie stayed overnight at the vet and the vet will do the surgery sometime on Tuesday, 09/19. Maggie will have to wear a cone at home and we'll find out after the surgery what kind of home care she'll need and what we'll need to do as follow up to the surgery.

2. Yesterday, I had taken out about a dozen of those little chicken wings to thaw. I never see packages of them in Kellogg, but a couple of weeks ago, I found a pack at Pilgrim's in CdA. I used to cook up Buffalo wings fairly often when we lived in Eugene. I liked taking them to Russell and Anne's -- maybe only once -- when we used to watch the November Nine compete at the final table of the World Series of Poker Main Event (that final table now plays out in July). I once took them to a Super Bowl party at Pam and Michael's and I remember cooking up about a million wings for a birthday party in Eugene -- I think it was Billy Diedrich's birthday in 2012. 

So I mixed up some flour seasoned with a little cayenne and salt and black pepper, covered the wings, and fried them in butter. At the same time, I combined a half cup of Frank's Hot Sauce with a third of a cup of butter and melted them together. When the wings were done frying, I put them in a bowl and poured the hot sauce over them and made sure I evenly coated the wings.

In the past, I used to dip each wing individually in the butter and Frank's sauce. Next time I make wings, I'll do that again.

I surprised the Deke by making a side of Kraft macaroni and cheese out of the box. It was awesome. I also served up celery sticks and bleu cheese dressing and some cole slaw.

This was a very fun and delicious meal.

3. It was a lousy night for the Oakland A's.  I wanted to watch the whole game, and, while my spirit was willing, my flesh was weak and I went to bed, very sleepy (not bored), soon after the Angels' second sacker Kaleb Cowart hit a grand slam that followed a string of bad luck and lousy play on the part of the A's: a walk, an error, a hit batsman, and a fan gloving a foul ball that Stephen Piscotty most likely would have caught had the fan not snatched it -- all very costly to the A's.

(By the way, I've never understood what the big deal is about taking a souvenir baseball home from a ball game, especially if catching it means crossing in any way into the field of play to snag the ball. If I'm at a ball park and a ball is hit in the stands and a mob of 10-12 people converge on the ball and elbow and push each other to possess it, I can guarantee you that I will not be a part of the melee. And you would never see me lean out of the stands to grab a ball. Tuesday night, that ball snatching fan cost the A's a crucial out and the A's were playing at home!)

No comments: