Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 03/16/20: Debbie's Return, Chicken Soup, The Wellness Trail

1. Debbie rents a room from Anne when she stays in Eugene and has been dog sitting for her since earlier this month while Anne and her daughter have been on a service project in Haiti. Anne is returning to Eugene early (she arrived today) and Debbie took off today for Portland and then will come to Kellogg. My guess is she'll be here for a while.

2. I made chicken soup in one of my favorite ways today, beginning by boiling a whole chicken in chicken stock and water. I then removed the chicken and simmered chopped onion, potato, celery, and carrot along with garlic, seasonings, and white beans in the broth while the chicken cooled. I took the meat off the chicken and returned it to the soup pot after the vegetables had simmered for about 45 minutes and let the soup rest for over an hour before filling four quart containers.

I put the chicken carcass in the crock pot with parsley, celery, carrot peels, and seasoning and have a batch of chicken stock cooking away.

3. It was cloudless out today, not terribly warm, but gorgeous out. Late in afternoon, I drove to the bottom of the stairway leading up to the Wellness Trail behind the hospital and finally hiked again. The track was a little muddy, but never impassible. I got winded several times, recovered, kept going, and loved how it felt to get my legs back in action again. When I finished, I felt as good physically as I've felt in months having gotten my heart pumping and my legs exercised.

No comments: