Wednesday, March 18, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 03/17/20: Debbie Delays, Hamburger Soup, Last Family Dinner Until . . .

1. I would have done the same thing.

Debbie called me late this morning to tell me she was going to spend the day with Patrick and Meagan and drive to Kellogg on Wednesday.

It made perfect sense. She'd had a disruptive day on Monday when she left Eugene sooner than planned. Meagan and Patrick are working at home, giving Debbie time to spend with them, a most enjoyable experience.

2. Earlier in the morning, I had gone to work making a hamburger soup. It was simple. I browned hamburger together with chopped onion and minced garlic. When the meat was no longer pink, I added a box of beef broth and a couple of chopped potatoes, a box of beef broth, a can of fire roasted dice tomatoes, a can of kidney beans, seasonings, and some Worcestershire sauce. When this combination had simmered for about ten minutes or so, I added in chopped carrots and celery and some frozen corn and green beans. This cooked slowly until the carrots were soft. I ended up with two quarts of soup.

3. Carol and Paul hosted Christy, Everett, and me for a delicious St. Patrick's Day dinner of corned beef and cabbage and potatoes with soda bread this evening. We started with a whiskey sour. I enjoyed a Guinness with my meal and Carol served Bailey's Irish Cream as an after dinner drink.

We talked a lot about the world shutting down around us and agreed to make this our last family dinner until it feels right to resume again. I'm glad we are all taking this COVID 19 situation seriously and that we are all near each other if/when any of us needs help.


No comments: