Monday, June 1, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 05/31/20: Yoke's, Beef Stroganoff, Puzzles BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. Debbie and I worked together to create a grocery shopping list. I did my best organize the list around sections of the store, doing my best to get in and out of Yoke's as efficiently as possible. It's a challenge these days at Yoke's. For a couple months or so, contractors have been redesigning and remodeling the store and items are in new places.  I covered the lower half of my face -- have I mentioned that Debbie made my face covering from fabric left over from when she made our kitchen curtains? -- and I'd say I did an above average job of being efficient. I slowed myself down enough to admire the remodeling job. It seems to me to be coming right along.

2. Debbie and I have two packages of steaks remaining from the bulk beef purchase we made from a local rancher a couple of years ago. I chuckled this afternoon as I cut two of the steaks from one of the packages into small cubes as I started to make Debbie and me a batch of beef stroganoff. Why the chuckle? I thought of Dad, not only because he died twenty-four years ago this weekend (June 1, 1996), but because he was a steak purist. My Aunt Lila used to use sirloin steaks to make Swiss steaks. Dad regarded this as a mortal offense against the beef steak. Sirloin steaks were created to be broiled or grilled, served medium rare with a baked potato and a salad. That's it.

Well, sorry Dad (RIP), but Debbie and I decided we'd rather eat these steaks as a part of a larger meal. So I sliced these steaks into small pieces, seasoned them with salt, pepper, garlic powder, and Montreal seasoning, and seared the chunks in the Dutch oven. I removed and set aside the meat and sauteed about a pound of sliced mushrooms and removed them. I had chopped an onion and four garlic cloves and cooked them for about five minutes. While they were sizzling, I combined two cups of water with two teaspoons of Better than Beef bouillon in a bowl. Once satisfied the onion and garlic were tender, I added back in the beef and the mushrooms, poured the bouillon mixture over it and added some Worcestershire sauce and red wine vinegar to the mix.

I let this mixture simmer, covered for about 50-60 minutes and toward the end of this time I added a pint of sour cream mixed with three tablespoons of all-purpose flour and stirred it all together.

While the sauce lightly bubbled away, I boiled a batch of Mrs. Miller's Old Fashioned Kluski Egg Noodles, drained them, and Debbie and I lined our bowls with noodles and poured the beef stroganoff sauce over the top.

With all apologies to Dad, the New York steak tasted awesome in this stroganoff -- and, using this cut of meat reduced the cooking time at least in half in contrast to using stew meat or round steak

I doubt Dad would be persuaded!

3. When I wasn't shopping or cooking today, I retired to the Vizio room and later to bed and completed two acrostic puzzles. These puzzles are fun. I hope they are sharpening my mind. I do know they take up a lot of time and time goes by quickly when I work on them. They make my decision to spend so much time indoors a pleasure.


Today is National Barefoot Day and, in its honor, Stu wrote a limerick: 

It’s good to know don’ts from the do’s.
Like after you burp, say “excuse”.
On days like today,
With formal clothes you can say.
I think I’ll just pass with the shoes.

No comments: