Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 06/16/20: Lewiston Hill, Admiring Bill Davie, Bubbling BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. I didn't quite finish The Woman in White today. I am very close. In the many pages I read today, all of the plot's hairpin turns, switchbacks, and short straight stretches of respite from the all the story's twists and turns reminded me of traveling on the Lewiston Hill before it was straightened out just over forty years ago. I didn't quite get car sick while reading today, but my eyes grew wide and I turned pages quickly as the story's events lurched from one unexpected occurrence to another. The final chapters I have yet to read promise more surprises.

2. At 7:00 this evening, I settled into an hour of deep enjoyment by tuning into the next of Bill Davie's hour long live Tuesday evening performances. Bill challenged himself tonight by performing some songs he hadn't sung publicly for quite a while, some that moved him to weep while performing them, songs he has not been sure he could perform because of how they move him. Likewise, Bill read some selections from the poetry of Phillip Levine, poems that also had a visible and audible emotional impact on him.

I always admire Bill. Tonight, my admiration grew. He decided not to perform safe songs, but, as he called them, "difficult" songs. It was an emotionally moving and a musically and poetically compelling hour. I have tuned in to all ten of Bill's Tree House Concerts. Each night, including tonight, I secretly wished he'd play his song, "Ravine". Tonight he played it.  It sent me simultaneously deep into thought about accidental angels and called up a batch of very pleasant memories of when Bill introduced this song to audiences in Eugene and western Oregon over twenty-five years ago.

3. The house sure smelled good today. On Monday, I put the carcass of the chicken Debbie cooked on Sunday in a crock pot with water, coarsely chopped onions, celery and celery greens, and some herbs and seasonings and let it all bubble away until late this afternoon. Then I filled three one-quart containers with chicken stock.


Here's another limerick from Stu, inspired by what might be the most famous of all opening lines in limerick land. Stu has left the last rhyming word blank. Feel free to fill in the blank. Tomorrow, Stu will reveal, on this blog, the word he used to round out this limerick. Care to guess his word?

There once was a man from Nantucket.
Who brought water to home in a bucket.
Too expensive for plumbing,
Can you see what is coming?
He decided it was best just to ________it!

No comments: