Wednesday, June 10, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 06/09/20: Bill Davie Live, Evening Talking, Puzzles

1. After taking a week off from his run of Tuesday evening one hour performances live from the upstairs of his home (The Treehouse), Bill Davie was back on last night. His return made me very happy. I thought Bill was buoyant, full of positive energy as he not only played some of my favorite songs of his own ("Skies in Tacoma", "How Deep is Your Well?", "The Years?"), but also performed one of my favorite covers,  Jim Page's "Sign of the Times".

Bill briefly sported and beautifully explained the significance and power of his Fred Babb T-shirt, a paean to the life-giving power of art. (To help preserve the shirt, he stepped off camera and changed out of it.) Bill also read a selection of poems by Mary Oliver whose elegant wisdom was a salve to our troubled souls and clearly urged us to wake up to the beauty of the natural world.

Bill opens his live webcasts by singing, "Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday, the day that time forgot." Time might have forgotten this Tuesday, but Bill made it most memorable.

2. After listening to Bill, Debbie and I watched an hour of news programming and then we sat up for nearly three hours talking about a lot of different things and not only was I grateful that we see eye to eye about so much in our lives and in the larger world, but I enjoyed that we didn't complain much. This wasn't a bitch session. We talked calmly about things close to home and in our family and things happening far away from Kellogg. We enjoyed a few cocktails.

3. I took a break today from reading Victorian fiction or watching documentaries. I read a collection of excellent poems Mary Chase wrote and sent me and wrote some of my thoughts about them to her. I also immersed myself in working on a couple of acrostic puzzles. I took one break from this mental workout. It was time to recycle cardboard at the local transfer station and I made a quick trip.

No comments: