Monday, June 15, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 06/14/20: Troubling Marriage, Errands, Dinner and a Good Talk BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. I read less today than the last two or three days. What I read of The Woman in White, through Marian Halcombe's remarkably detailed journal entries, is deepening the troubling and chilling portrayal of the marriage of her half-sister, Laura Glyde (Fairlie), to Sir Percival Glyde and Marian Holcombe's efforts to protect Laura.

2. I made a quick trip to the County Transfer Station. Cardboard boxes were piling up in the garage and I tossed them in the recycling bin and I disposed of some garbage. Later, I made a quick trip to Yoke's. The remodeling job is coming along. I am learning anew the changing layout of the store. Yes, the store's rearrangement slowed me down a bit, but I managed to get in and out in pretty good time. That was my goal.

3. I brought home a whole chicken and Debbie fixed a warming, comforting, and delicious pot of chicken and noodles and broccoli. We watched the last half of The Godfather. Then we talked for quite a while about all kinds of things -- books we've read, conversations we've had, movies, experiences we had in Maryland, and some of our thoughts about living now in Kellogg. Like so often happens after we have these evening conversations, I went to bed thinking a lot about how the twenty-two years we've been married have been filled with experiences I never could have imagined would have happened when we joined our lives together. We've learned a lot.

To commemorate National Beer Day in the United Kingdom (June 15), Stu wrote this limerick:

Catnip is great for a kitten.
Time together is great for the smitten.
For a Pirate there’s rum,
Baseball cards have their gum.
And today is for BEER in Great Britain.

No comments: