Friday, June 26, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 06/25/20: Back to Coal Creek, Pizza on the Deck, Gibbs Update BONUS: A Limerick by Stu

1. I am too content, often, to stay home, mainly because I really enjoy so many of the indoor things I do: watch movies, read books, cook, and so on. I've been lying low, mostly staying home since  March 15th, the day I decided to stay home rather than participate in person in our fantasy baseball league draft.

Being so content and being so comfortable staying indoors, especially when reading long novels, has had one significant drawback: I've been lazy about prying myself away from books, movies, cooking, and puzzles, prying myself out of my chair, and leaving the house to go walking or hiking.

There.

I admitted it.

Today, however, I changed that.

I drove up the North Fork to the Coal Creek trail head and hiked as far as where the trail crosses the bridge and heads on up into the mountains.

It wasn't a long hike. Even though it's an easy grade and largely shaded, I stopped about four times to rest and drink water.

I enjoyed the light mountain air, the calming sounds of the clear running creek pouring over logs fallen in the water, and the varieties of sunlight and shade just as much as sitting at home reading Charles Dickens. That's a good sign, especially for my physical health.


2.  Yes, the Lounge has been open on weekends for a while, but I think it'll be quite a while before I visit. So that we could see Cas and Tracy, Debbie and I invited them over for pizza on the deck this evening. I dropped in at Yoke's and bought an 18 pack of Rolling Rock and ordered a three meat pizza. Cas and Tracy surprised us with a plate of shrimp and a peppery dipping sauce. Our two hours together of getting caught up about local news and views, talking a little baseball, and telling stories as the air cooled and evening set it was really fun.

3. Gibbs update: To my eyes, little Gibbs seems to grow a little larger every day. Today the dog bed Debbie ordered for him arrived and it looks like he's going to find it a comfortable place to rest. It's been elating for me to see Gibbs get more confident in the back yard. For the first few days here, he pretty much only went where Debbie or I went out back. Today, however, he explored the whole of the yard on his own, found places to sniff around, did some running and hopping around, and increased his curiosity, courage, and sense of adventure.

I used to love how Maggie and Charly explored the back yard, how happy it made them to poke around, check out plants, sniff out different scents, and frolic in the grass.

It looks like Gibbs is learning how to do the same.

Here's a limerick from Stu:

Not all see the world in the same way.
Some see dark even on a bright day.
There’s those who can make,
Blue skies for our sake.
And poor souls who see only gray.

No comments: