Sunday, July 19, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 07/18/20: Out of Isolation, Green Curry, *Pillars of the Earth* BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. Through YouTube, I played Miles Davis on the wireless speaker. The heavy curtains in the Vizio room shade it, keep it cool, and I sit in a comfortable chair. I took care of some business, did some writing, and read some news and editorials. I could have sat in here all day reading, working puzzles, listening to jazz music, and feeling at peace. But, I didn't. I emerged and drained a cubed block of tofu while I fixed myself some eggs and serrano pepper hot sauce to put on a tortilla layered with melted taco cheese. I mixed sesame oil, soy sauce, fish sauce, garlic chili paste, and honey in a bowl, folded in the tofu, put a lid on the bowl, and marinated the tofu in the refrigerator for several hours.

2. I also cleaned the kitchen so I'd have a clean place to make a green curry sauce. I combined the usual ingredients: a plug of green curry pasted heated up, two cans of coconut milk, soy sauce, fish sauce, chopped fresh ginger, and brown sugar. As a bonus, today I added two dried kaffir lime leaves. Meanwhile, in the bottom of the Dutch oven, I cooked the tofu for a while, removed it to a bowl, and lined the bottom of the Dutch oven with slices of white onion. I poured the sauce over the onions, and added the tofu back in along with broccoli florets and fresh green beans. I cooked the sauce slowly while I made a pot of jasmine rice and, within an hour or so, Debbie and I each filled a bowl with rice and curry sauce, garnished it with peanuts and cilantro, and marveled at what what a difference the kaffir lime leaves made in adding flavor to the curry.

3. I started reading Ken Follett's novel, Pillars of the Earth, this evening. I don't think I've ever read a novel set in the 12th century. When I read novels (or watch movies), I'm a believer and from the get go, I am trusting in the authenticity of Follett's portrayal of medieval life. More important, though, from the grisly prologue that starts the book on through his telling of the dangers of the forest, I'm finding Follett's story telling riveting.


Today, Stu's limerick introduces a new word into my (and maybe your) vocabulary:

You use cash to measure how rich.
And radar the speed of of a pitch.
Pounds or kilos for lifting,
Inch by inch continents drifting.
And pig's bacon is measured by FLITCH!

National Flitch Day.
Enjoy responsibly. ðŸ˜€ðŸ¥“



No comments: