Monday, July 20, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 07/19/20: Biking in Kellogg, ZOOM Time, Ed on the Deck BONUS A Limerick by Stu

While I wrote on Sunday morning, my featured jazz artist was Sonny Rollins.

1. Our bill came from the utility company and usually I write out a check and walk it over to the payment drop box near Yoke's. I walk it over for the exercise, not to save money on postage. This morning, I hopped on my bicycle and rode over to the box and then I took a little spin around central Kellogg. I checked out the fire damaged building that once housed Best Shots to see if any new signs were on the door. None. I biked over to the Veterans Memorial. Back in March, I sent an application to the local Veterans' Committee on behalf of the memory of my uncle (William Earl Woolum) who was killed at the Battle of Vella LaVella in Solomon Islands in 1943. I haven't heard back from the committee (no problem), but I thought, just for something to do, I'd see if Uncle Bill's name had been engraved in one of the walls. As I expected (no problem), it hadn't. I think I'll hear from the committee before an engraving happens, but, I looked any way. I pedaled around some more, the sun started to get to me, and I headed home.

2. I spent a couple of hours talking on ZOOM with Bill and Diane this afternoon. We talked about a lot of things -- among them, health, dining in for months, the USA, a Whitworth student of mine from 1978 I wondered about, and poetry. Diane read a piece of Bill's writing. I think it was an email from years ago that he wrote in such a lyrical way that she regards it as a poem. Then Bill read some of his poems. It's been a long time since I've heard Bill read his poetry. I enjoyed the poems thoroughly. Since April, I've had more involvement with reading and listening to poetry than I had in quite a few years.  Bill reads poems during his Tree House Concerts. Bridgit read poetry in an online poetry reading. Colette and Bridgit both read poems they'd written in our first Sunday ZOOM talk. I listen to Billy Collins' poetry broadcasts. I think he presents them Monday through Friday.  In the last few weeks, I've purchased several books of poetry to read to myself here in the Vizio room. It's been invigorating.

3. Ed came over around five this afternoon, excited to share a favorite whiskey of his with me: Brown Sugar Bourbon. I fixed some cheese and crackers and put out a bowl of chips and Debbie's guacamole and we sat on the deck and protected each other by sitting a ways apart. The whiskey really grew on me as I sipped more and we talked more. I especially enjoyed its cinnamon flavor and thought it would be a fun after dinner whiskey to have around.

Since I'm not dining in restaurants, I haven't been a part of the weekly breakfast at Sam's. The guys are meeting on Saturday mornings now. This evening, Ed caught me up on news about the guys and about work projects in the Silver Valley -- it was almost like being at breakfast at Sam's again. We talked about a lot of other stuff, too, including how Ed's retirement is going (great!) and what we've heard lately from friends of ours.

It was a great session.


Here's a limerick by Stu:



How could we get to a state?
Where a mask and your goodness relate?
Only one way to think,
Has brought us to the brink.
Let’s calm things before it’s too late!

No comments: