Saturday, July 11, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 07/10/20: Books Arrive, Tire Pump, Gibbs BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. I was sitting in the Vizio room pecking away, blogging, when Debbie walked in with a package. I could tell by its exterior that it was from Better World Books and joy surged throughout me. Sure enough, the rest of my order arrived:

The Collected Poems of Wallace Stevens
The Great Fires by Jack Gilbert
Refusing Heaven by Jack Gilbert
The Norton Anthology of Poetry (Shorter, Third Edition)
To Read a Poem, Donald Hall

I jumped right into these books, sampling old favorite poems and reading some ones I'd never read. I have gone too long without John Crowe Ransom's "Bells for John Whiteside's Daughter" or Wallace Stevens' "Idea of Order at Key West" or poems by Emily Dickinson or Sharon Olds nearby and here they were, with countless others, in a small pile next to my chair, ready for me to plunge into again and again, ready to give me pleasure.

2. I'm never quite sure how I'm going to do with anything mechanical. So, I experienced some mild anxiety when I went out to the garage with my new bike tire pump to put air in my bicycle tires. Without much problem, I successfully made my tires firm with air and exhaled a deep sigh of relief. I put the bicycle in the back of the Sube and plan to go somewhere nearby on Saturday for a short ride. I know I'm in lousy shape and will need to build up some strength and stamina.

3. Gibbs is coming into his own as a growing puppy. He's daily more confident and animated, is getting more and more brave about exploring the back yard, has begun to develop a strut, and might even be getting a little cocky, to his credit. He is a very social puppy, enjoys being near Debbie and me, usually loves being held, and seems, happily,   to be catching on to the fact that Debbie and I are his people. His world is getting a little bigger, too. Sometimes he goes out to the back porch and sits there, gazing into the distance, looking up to the hills nearby, as if he's coming into some kind of awareness that he lives in a world much bigger than the inside of a house.


Here's a limerick by Stu:



What kind of food do you grub?
Do you like prawns or fries in a tub?
Steak or fish on a grill,
Fruits and veggies a thrill?
Or like Dagwood a piled up Sub?


No comments: