Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 07/07/20: Hiking Shoes, Postmodern Jukebox, Bill Davie and Adrienne Rich BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. The new Merrell hiking shoes I ordered last week arrived on Monday. Today, I tried them on -- they fit well and felt good -- and gave them an initial test drive by walking down to the mailbox in front of the building that housed Stein's IGA for so many years. If footwear doesn't fit me right, either or both of my big toes blow up with redness, swelling, and pain. If today's walk is a true indicator of what I can expect, these new shoes will work beautifully.

Today, the bike tire pump I ordered last week arrived. Soon, I'll get some air in my bicycle tires and get back to flying (ahem) around on two wheels.

2.  I enjoy watching and listening to videos on YouTube of Postmodern Jukebox and today I discovered their classy cover of Aerosmith's "Dream On", featuring Morgan James fronting a string and piano ensemble. Recently, I also listened to a trio of Postmodern Jukebox singers, Joey Cook, Adana Duru, and Nina Ann perform a 1960's girl group styled (think "Mr. Postman") cover of Portugal The Man's song, "Feel it Still".  If you'd like to see these videos, a simple online search will lead you right to them.

3. I thoroughly enjoyed tonight's version of  Bill Davie's Tree House Concert. It was #13 and Bill seems ready to keep right on going, every Tuesday evening, from 7-8 o'clock. Tonight Bill read from the poetry of Adrienne Rich, focusing on selections from her collection, Twenty-One Love Poems. The poems are a a testimony to the power of honesty, honesty within herself, honesty with her partner, and honesty about the political dimensions of intimacy. Just as Rich's poetry explored the intertwining of intimacy, mortality, and politics, so Bill's selections tonight were also at times confessional, at times expressions of love (especially for his wife Diane), at times explorations of our mortality, and, at times, political. 


It's National Have a Coke Day and Stu wrote a limerick:


What do you drink for your thirst?
Cool water probably comes to mind first.
But, if it’s cola you’re drinking,
Give the red can some winking.
And blue one ok if aversed.

No comments: