Saturday, July 25, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 07/24/20: Fantasy Baseball Again!,Ron Koertge, Fritters and Cocktails BONUS A Limerick by Stu

Friday's featured jazz artist was George Benson, sometimes with Joe Farrell. (Remember the Benson and Farrell album? The album cover featured what looked like a pack of Benson and Hedges cigarettes, but, instead, it was a funny pack of Benson and Farrell's!)

1. Major League Baseball returned Thursday with a couple of games and a nearly full slate of games today. And, if you have been a reader of this blog for a while, you know what that means for me: Fantasy Baseball. My mornings are packed now. Chat with Stu. Select a jazz musician. Get going on my blog. Do some other writing.  Above all (!), though, I get my fantasy baseball lineups set for the day. It's a blast.  I have zero expectations for success. Good thing. Today I watched my squad in League #1, the Sunnyside Odd Fellowz, sink like a cannon ball in the sea to last place, but my League #2 team, the Kellogg Johnniez, had a great day thanks to splendid performances by five of my pitchers. I don't expect the huge lead I currently hold in League #2 over the Pinehurst Sluggers to hold -- but you never know.

2. In his live broadcast today, Billy Collins read mostly poems by his longtime friend, Ron Koertge. Koertge is a witty poet. He loves creating absurdity, turning familiar things upside down, and having fun with word play. Alongside his wit and humor, Koertge is a thoughtful poet and so I not only laughed while Billy Collins read some of his poems, I also gained insight.

3. We have a lot of produce on hand and, late this afternoon, Debbie decided to focus on broccoli.
She combined steamed broccoli, eggs, flour, Parmesan cheese, and garlic, formed patties, fried them and we had delicious broccoli fritters (for the first time) for dinner with brown rice and a garden fresh salad enhanced with the licorice-y splendor of fresh tarragon.

I contributed to dinner with a cocktail experiment that we both enjoyed: one oz each of George Dickel Rye Whiskey and E and J VSOP brandy with a half oz of Triple Sec and a few shakes of Orange Bitters. I shook the cocktail with ice until cold and included the ice in the glass when I poured the drinks. I liked the way the brandy and rye whiskey played off of each other and we love bitters. One day, I think Debbie and I will look back and declare 2020 the Year of Triple Sec. We've a lot of fun with it this year.


Here's a limerick by Stu to commemorate National Carousel or National Merry-Go-Round Day.



On playgrounds they used to be found.
At fairs you can ride them with sound. 
Whether pushing them fast,
Or grabbing rings to be cast.
Them things just keep going ‘round and ‘round.

No comments: