Thursday, October 1, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 09/30/20: Pasta in the Mail, New Soup, *Jazz* BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. When Carol and Hugh visited back on September 20th, as part of the casual food spread I fixed, I made a Thai shrimp and noodle salad. That gave rise to Hugh and Carol talking about Pappardelle's, a pasta shop at Pike Place Market in Seattle. I listened wistfully, thinking how fun it would be to live close to such a shop, stocked with countless varieties of fresh and dried pasta, made by this company. Carol and Hugh made special mention of a Spicy Thai Linguine they enjoy, especially when Carol uses it to make Thai Beef with Peppers.

Well, to my delight, an envelope package arrived today in the mail. It was from Hugh and Carol. Inside were a couple of packages of Pappardelle's Spicy Thai Linguine and the recipe Carol uses to make Thai Beef with Peppers, along with a recipe for chicken wings that has been in Carol's family for years, a second recipe for a Thai chicken dish, and a handy pamphlet from Pappardelle's. 

Now I'm going to ponder these recipes and decide how to make them work for family dinner where, among us, we have a wide range of tolerance for food that is peppery or makes use of hot sauce.

2. I took the leftover chicken I marinated the other day and the leftover Indian curry I made and combined them with chicken stock and some small chunks of potatoes, let it cook until the potatoes were tender, and was very pleased with tranforming my first try at Indian curry into a soup I enjoyed.

3. I watched two more episodes of Jazz and learned more about the development of jazz in the 1920s and 1930s and the impact of the Great Depression, as well as the radio, on jazz music and on the music business. 

Here's a limerick by Stu:

If you have lots it can be a big deal. 
With none can affect how you feel. 
Dark brown, gold or red, 
Mess after night in the bed. 
And care products make claims quite unreal. 

 National Hair Day.


No comments: