Saturday, October 31, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 10-30-20: Jerry Garcia's Breadth, Short Walk, What Next? BONUS A Limerick by Stu

Note: This is the last post I can publish as a Note on Facebook. Starting Nov. 1, Notes will no longer be available. Instead, on Facebook, I'll post a daily link to each post that will take you to www.kelloggbloggin.blogpost.com. 


1. I love listening to Jerry Garcia's side projects, music he played outside his work with the Grateful Dead. I didn't know, until I started listening to the Grateful Dead just over 30 years ago, that Jerry Garcia began his work as a musician playing bluegrass, folk, old-time, and jug band music. These early influences helped shape the Grateful Dead's catalog, along with jazz, gospel, blues, and roots rock and roll and others. Jerry Garcia returns to the music of his early days most emphatically in some of his side projects like the bluegrass band Old and in the Way (he plays banjo) and as the pedal steel guitarist for the early work of New Riders of the Purple Sage -- by the way, do you recall the sound of the pedal steel guitar in Crosby, Still, Nash, and Young's song, "Teach Your Children"? That was Jerry Garcia. 

So, today, I listened to the album, Ragged but Right, a project of the Jerry Garcia Acoustic Band and to Don't Let Go, by the Jerry Garcia Band. Taken together, I loved the variety and creativity of these albums as the bands played innovative covers of well-known songs such as "Trouble in Mind", "Goodnight Irene",  "After Midnight", "Knocking' on Heaven's Door", and "The Way You Do the Things You Do" as well as a couple of come to Jesus songs, "Drifting Too Far from the Shore" and "My Sisters and Brothers". 

I couldn't help but think how I wished could do multiple things I enjoy so much at once as I spend so much time at home. I wish I could watch movies, listen to music, read poetry, read a book, work puzzles, and cook all at the same time. I shouldn't do this, but often as I'm reading, I'm thinking about the movies I'm not watching and, as I read poetry, I'm thinking of the music I'm not listening to. Luckily, I can listen to music while cooking or blogging, but the fact of the matter is that during this time of staying home so much, I'm stimulated, sometimes overstimulated, and I hunger to do more of what I'm doing. But, when I'm at my best, I am absorbed in what I'm doing at any given moment, not thinking about what I'm not doing.

2. As I've written before, I welcome having things to do that give me reasons to walk. Today, I wrote out a couple of bills that needed to be mailed out. I could have just put them out for Hillary to pick up when she delivers the mail, but I decided to walk them down to the mailbox in front of the former Stein's store. It wasn't a very long walk, but today was blustery and a little chilly. I enjoyed being out and moving around a bit, but welcomed returning to the warmth of the house.

3. Once home, I decided to give over a bigger than usual chunk of time to reading more of The Pillars of the Earth. The book is divided into five parts and weighs in at almost 975 pages. I listen to it on audible when I walk and, at home, I listen and read along. I've been reading small bits of the book at a time, but I want to get on to some other books and so today I devoted much more time to it. I reached the end of Part III. It shocked me. I try not to think ahead when I read a novel, but after what happened, I fell asleep for the night, wondering how the characters would recover from the horrible event that ended Part III. I'm all but positive that I'll be right back to this book on Saturday, eager to discover find out what will happen after the shock of Part III's ending.  


A limerick by Stu: 


It’s a day to be costumed and seen. 
And apples made tan and not green. 
For girls cut in half, 
Ring the bell, run and laugh. 
Yes, it’s way more than just HALLOWEEN. 


It’s. Halloween, National Caramel Apple Day, National Doorbell Day and National Magic Day.

No comments: