Saturday, October 17, 2020

Three Beautiful Things 10-16-20: Fast Folk 1993, Walking with Follett, Astros & Dodgers Win BONUS A Limerick by Stu

1. For the project I'm working on for Debbie, Patrick emailed me scanned images of Debbie's two solo cds Going the Distance and Ninety Miles Out, and her children's music cd, Come and Go With Me!. He also sent both Debbie and me a pdf file of the June, 1993 issue of Fast Folk Musical Magazine (RIP, 1997), out of New York City, an issue that featured the folk music scene in Eugene. Each issue was accompanied by a recording and this issue included songs and printed lyrics by Debbie, T. R. Kelley, Laura Kemp, Peter Wild, Walker Ryan, Brook Adams, and others. Debbie also wrote an article about Eugene in this issue, accompanied by a beautiful portrait of her. I enjoyed reading Debbie's writing again. Before we got to know each other, I used to read her articles in the Northwest Independent Music New while enjoying a toasted raisin cinnamon bagel with cream cheese and a cup of coffee at the Bagel Bakery. I loved her writing. Wait!  I shouldn't put that in the past tense: I did, do, and will always love Debbie's writing,  her prose, her songs, and everything else.

2. The Avista bill arrived today. I'm walking again on a daily basis, building on the previous day to build up stamina. For the length of walk I wanted today, it was a perfect idea to walk my Avista payment to the drop box. It's about a mile and half walk, round trip, and I did it, listening to another installment of Pillars of the Earth. It's turning out to be a very good book to listen to while on these walks. Ken Follett is a superb storyteller, a master at keeping several plot lines going at once with absorbing conflicts. He also paints vivid and detailed scenes of life in his version of 12th century England.  I suppose it's a good sign of Follett's skill that I dread it whenever the character William Hamleigh, a sociopathic rapist enters the story, but whenever this character pops up, I can hardly wait for him to exit. He's violent, demented, and perverse. 

3. Neither Atlanta nor Tampa Bay advanced to the World Series today. Tampa Bay has now lost three games in row to Houston after winning the first three. Their series will be decided on Saturday. Houston won tonight's game, 7-4, and outplayed the Rays in every facet of the game. 

I hate to write it, but I think the Rays are in trouble coming into Game 7. The Astros' offense has come to life and their confidence is high again. If Tampa Bay is to win Game 7, they will need their starter, Charlie Morton to pitch very well (and he's very capable of it), and they'll have to, somehow, get better hitting up and down their lineup. Houston will counter with Lance McCullers, a solid pitcher. I hope the Rays can get some offense going against him, but I'm doubtful.

The Dodgers looked powerful tonight (much like they did in Game 3) defeating the Braves 7-3. When the Dodgers' bats are alive, they are very tough to beat. Likewise, the Braves. I don't know what to expect on Saturday, but I'm eager to see how it all plays out. It would be fun, for me, at least, if both teams were swinging hot bats and the game turned into a back and forth slugfest!


A limerick by Stu:


In most things you’re given a voice. 
Like in cars Chevy, Ford or Rolls Royce. 
But no decision you’re given, 
As next door they be livin’, 
It’s true neighbors are never a choice.

No comments: