Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 08/31/2021: A Little Heat, Planes and Trains, Pictures of Copper and Luna

1. Late in June, all through July, and on into August, we had days in the 90s and the 100s. It was like living in a furnace.

This morning, it was chilly enough in the house that, for a short time, I turned on the furnace. 

2. I learned today that, at least in September, Alaska Air no longer has a flight from Seattle to Newark that departs between 8-9. It means that were I to fly to Newark, I wouldn't arrive until midnight. (I'm going to double check this.) 

I spent time today looking at options for flying into LaGuardia and JFK and, more important, studied means of public transportation to travel from Queens to Manhattan and then on north to train stations near Valley Cottage -- like Tarrytown or Nanuet.

Back in 2012, when I left New York City to fly to Eugene, I took the Long Island Railroad to the Jamaica station in Queens and transferred to the AirTrain and arrived at the JFK. I might do this very same thing in reverse, ride to Penn Station, and then catch a train to Secaucus and transfer to another line to Nanuet where Debbie could pick me up. 

We'll see. I haven't purchased a plane ticket yet, but at least I've got options in mind for how to get myself close to Valley Cottage so no one has to drive to Queens to pick me up.

3.  One impact of the pandemic that I find difficult to explain is why I've been in a photography slump. I'm not even going to bother going into a session of self-examination about this. The important fact is that I've decided to break out of it, at least gradually. I have begun, and will continue, to get reacquainted with my camera by taking portraits of Copper and Luna. If nothing else, the following pictures will help you see how Copper got his name! These pictures are unedited, just for the record.

  























No comments: