Sunday, September 12, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 09/11/2021: Women's Final, Great Sour Beer, More Preparation

1. I was eager to watch the women's championship match of the U.S. Open this afternoon. Both players, Emma Raducanu and Leylah Fernandez, as teenagers, both unseeded in the tournament (in fact, Raducanu had to play three qualifying matches to get in) had been playing with great spirit and talent. Because they'd never competed in a Grand Slam final before, it was nearly impossible to know how they would respond to playing in such a huge match in New York City before a large stadium of people and with such intense media interest surrounding them.

They played beautifully. Although Raducanu swept the match, 6-4, 6-3, the contest featured great shot making from both players, a handful of swings in momentum, and both players' joy and fearlessness. I couldn't say exactly what gave Raducanu her edge. From my amateur perspective, she played with a bit more sharpness, seemed fresher than Fernandez, and she seemed to be the player more often on the offensive, applying more pressure. 

It was fun to watch both players. They have a full range of shots, are imaginative, are capable of working out difficulties as they arise during a match, and are stubborn, strong-willed competitors.

Honestly, as a sports fan, I watch certain contests wishing both players could win -- I definitely felt that way today. 

2. While watching the tennis, I went on a bit of a beer drinking adventure. For months, since Meagan and Patrick  brought them to the house, I didn't think I wanted to drink these two bombers of sour ale that have been chilling in the fridge.

Today, I decided to give drinking them and a try and it was awesome.

First, I slowly worked my way through Iron Goat's Blackberry Apricot Sour, a fruited golden ale. I loved the fruit flavors and the beers mouth puckering qualities, but even more I enjoyed the great mouthfeel of the golden ale. Sometimes sour ales can have the same texture as wine, but I like it when they are a bit heavier in the mouth and this one was just that and a pleasure to drink

Next, I cracked open my bottle of Block 15's Turbulent Consequence, Cherry Pit. It's a beer brewed in the classic lambic style, aged in barrels for two years. 

It, too, was an awesome beer. I loved how the natural sweetness of the cherries played off of the sourness of this beer, making each sip a wonder. 

I only had one brief moment of sadness as I drank these beers. I enjoy drinking beer with other people much more than drinking it alone.  I would have really enjoyed the company of another person who enjoys sour beer today -- but I don't know anyone, especially not locally. 

Oh, well. I had some really fun times in Eugene drinking sour ales with others, especially during the May 3, 2014 Wild Ale/4th Anniversary blow out at 16 Tons. I've never had another beer tasting experience like that one -- I think 70 different beers were available that day, served in small tasters -- and I was in 7th heaven.

3.  I rested up after the tennis and the beer and then returned to getting the house ready to leave. I moved Copper and Luna's litter pans and dry food feeder up to the main floor, gave the basement floor one last sweep, and got some laundry going. On Sunday morning, I have a few tasks to do on the main floor and then everything should be in good shape to pack my backpack and take off in the afternoon with Christy and Carol. 

No comments: