Thursday, September 16, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 09/15/2021: Waiting for My Clothes, Kohl's and Snacks, Softly Spoken Magic Spells

 1. Last Wednesday, I mailed a box to Adrienne and Josh's house in Valley Cottage with a bunch of clothes and a duffle bag in it so that I could fly to NYC and take four trains to the Nanuet station without lugging a suitcase around. When I mailed the package, the guy at the PO told me it would arrive in New York on Tuesday, Sept. 14.

It didn't arrive.

Okay.

I hoped it would arrive today, Sept. 15th.

The mail deliverer arrived.

No package.

Hmmm. Good thing we didn't have solid plans that couldn't be messed with!

So, I scoured the World Wide Web, trying to find a way to track the package without the receipt that has the tracking number on it.

No luck.

I pondered. I thought about my habits. I often take things out of my pocket at home and put them on the small table beside the bed in the bedroom -- or on the end table beside the chair in the living room I sit in to write and read.

Possibly the receipt from the Post Office with the tracking number was in one of those places. 

Possibly I didn't throw it away.

I emailed Christy and Carol and asked them, when it was convenient, to see if I did, in fact, leave that receipt on the bedside table or the end table.

I got a text from Christy.

It was a photograph.

Christy found the receipt! OMG! I was flabbergasted!  

I did, in fact, leave that receipt on the bedside table. She found it and texted me a photo of it.

I went to usps.com, submitted the tracking number, and found out that on today, Sept. 15th, my package had arrived in Jersey City, NJ and was now in transit to its destination.

I am 95.3982648736278563% certain that the package will arrive, two days late, on Sept. 16th, opening the way for me to pack the duffle bag, put it in the car with the other things, and for Debbie and me to hit the road and start our crawl across the USA back to Idaho.

2. Today, Wednesday, I was wearing the same shirt and pants I put on Sunday when I left Kellogg. That's right. I've been wearing the same outer shell on Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, and much of Wednesday. Debbie and I went to Kohl's and I bought a new shirt and a pair of short pants. That done, we went to Pearl River and each had a glass of beer at Defiant Brewing before going to a store called A Matter of Health where we stocked up on nuts, chocolates, licorice, crackers, and other snacks to sustain us on the road. 

3. We ended our outing at Growler and Gill and for the first time since February 5, 2017 I drank a glass of the divine Softly Spoken Magic Spells Imperial Hazy IPA brewed by Single Cut Brewing, located in Queens, NY. I loved sipping this juicy bomb again and Debbie and I had a long far reaching and deep conversation about a variety of things on our minds. I finished the one beer and ordered a short pour of a very different beer, one from Belgium, the great St. Bernardus Abt 12, a really tasty Quadrupel. I hadn't had a Belgian beer for many months and I loved the old feeling of being transported back to the Bier Stein in Eugene, joining friends from St. Mary's Episcopal Church for one of our Belgian Blowouts. 


No comments: