Monday, September 27, 2021

Three Beautiful Things 09/26/2021: Some Higher Education Discussion, Travel Adjustment, Big Dose of Norm Macdonald

1. Before Madhura and Danielle left the lake house to return to Chicago, we had a fun discussion about education and I enjoyed their interest in what I had to say about what I see as the purposes of education -- it's fun to discuss self-examination and other such topics with people who also see higher education, not as a career training, but as a time to exercise and discipline one's mind, to explore galaxies of ideas and ways of understanding one's self, life, and the world. 

2. Debbie and I changed our travel schedule a bit. Originally, in order to arrive at a Michigan yarn/fiber establishment Debbie has known about for years, since it closes at 3 p.m., we would have had to leave the lake place pretty early. We decided not to leave pretty early Monday morning and Debbie said she'd rather strike the yarn store from our plans.

3. Over the last several days, I've been watching a lot of videos of Norm Macdonald. I've watched his appearances on Conan, David Letterman, and other talk shows and some of his work on Saturday Night Live. I've also enjoyed listening to the many tributes people in the entertainment world recorded after Norm Macdonald died on September 14th. 

I'll just say that for much of Norm Macdonald's career, I watched very little television. I was vaguely aware of Norm Macdonald's stellar reputation. I've enjoyed watching all these videos, enjoyed the almost dada quality of Macdonald's story telling, his quick wit, and his fearlessness. 

No comments: