Sunday, October 9, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 10-08-2022: Mailing Bills and Empty Buildings, Rose Lake Potluck, Great Conversation at The Lounge

1. In the aftermath of all the socializing and driving I enjoyed this week, I spent the early part of the day resting. I also paid our bills. I sent two of them out by mail and strolled down to what used to the the Stein's IGA building and dropped them in the mailbox. I peered into the empty Stein's building. It didn't look like anything was going on. Likewise, when I strolled over to the now empty former Liquor Store building, nothing was going on. Nothing is happening at the former Hallmark store either. Across the street, the building that once housed Cattails is empty, nothing going on. Same story at the former Wolfie's/InCahoots/Eddie Joe's building. Nothing happening. But, in that same area, it looks like Zany's, in the building that once housed the Sunshine Inn, is humming along. 

Will this short stretch of West Cameron Avenue ever bounce back? Will things get back to buzzing again?

You'll have to ask someone a lot smarter than I am about demographics, commercial real estate, economic forces, establishing a business, and other such things for even an educated guess.

I sure don't know.

2. Around five o'clock, Debbie and I arrived at Tim and Cindy's home on Park Road overlooking Rose Lake for a comfort food potluck party. We joined Ed, Nancy, Jake, Carol Lee, Bert, Cindy, Danny, Sharon, Sue, Diane, and our hosts, the Shannons, and dove into a generous spread of appetizers and comforting entrees, including beef stew, pasties, corn casserole, a sheet pizza-style dish, and more. The appetizers and entrees were delicious and comforting as were the desserts, Sue's Harvey Wallbanger cake and Nancy's Mississipi Mud pie.  Only my failing memory keeps me from listing all the food we had to choose from! 

The food was indeed comforting. It was also delicious and fun. Stories and laughter rang throughout the house and out on the Shannon's deck. We had a good party.

3.  I dropped Debbie off at home a little after eight o'clock. The only alcohol I drank at the party was a glass of wine so I was in good shape to head up to The Lounge for a while. I hadn't seen Cas since he pulled off a nearly miraculous win in our Fantasy Baseball League's championship head to head match against Mike Kennaugh and I not only wanted to congratulate him but also get his take on how the final day of their match played out on Wednesday. (I was having dinner with Colette as their titanic battle concluded so I was not online enjoying the suspense of their photo finish, nor was I, like a couple of other league members, sending Cas text messages as their Silver Valley thriller came to an end.) 

Cas seemed more than happy to replay the afternoon's highlights for me. That must have been the most nail biting finish to a League 2 season in the history of the Silver Valley Fantasy League. What a blast!

I was at The Lounge until close to 11 o'clock and limited myself to a single shot of 1910 Pendleton Rye Whiskey (aged 12 years) and several glasses of club soda over ice. 

That meant that a) I was clear minded and could totally enjoy a long and fun conversation with Tom Lyons and Rick Chapman at the bar and b) that I could drive safely home. 

What an evening! 


No comments: