Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Three Beautiful Things 10-24-2020: Gibbs Gets Groomed, I Prepare to Leave, Fish Chowder Night

 1. I took Gibbs to the groomer today and now we can see his eyes without obstruction and he looks clean and lean.

2. I have one more small load of laundry to do and then I'll be able to finish the packing job I started today and I'll be ready to take off Wednesday morning.

3. I've made the quick fish chowder recipe in the NYT's No Recipe Recipes book before and used a couple quarts of my crab stock and did it again this afternoon. When I was at the store today, I'd forgotten that this chowder has bacon in it. So I made the chowder without bacon. I just chopped up an onion and some baby Yukon golds. I sautéed the onions for a while, added the potatoes, covered it all with crab stock, and slow cooked this mixture until the potatoes and onion were tender. I then added milk and some half and half followed by a handful of raw shrimp that I had cooked slightly in butter in the cast iron pan. I added the buttery liquid left behind by the sautéing and added a chunk of butter to the chowder itself. The only seasoning I used was bay leaf, salt, pepper, and Old Bay seasoning. I didn't use flour so this chowder was not very thick. That's the way Debbie and I prefer it. 

Yes, I missed the bacon, but not terribly.

The chowder worked and will provide Debbie with food for lunch for at least a couple of days. 

No comments: