Monday, July 14, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 07/14/08: Sacrilege, Dental Hygiene, Idi Amin Dada

1. My former student at LCC, Michael Kelly, is a doctoral candidate at the University of Notre Dame and is in Eugene working on his dissertation, preparing to research in England. His research overlaps with work I did many years ago when I was a (failed) doctoral candidate and it was really fun listening to Michael discuss the idea of sacrilege in 16th and 17th century England and having ideas come alive again I used to think about a lot.

2. I met Kristin this morning, a hygienist at my dentist's office, who has never cleaned my teeth before. Usually Trisha cleans my teeth. I look forward to these cleanings because Trisha, and now Kristin, are efficient, good communicators, careful, and lovely.

3. Forrest Whitaker. It's electrifying to see an actor occupy a role and tonight I watched Forrest Whitaker as Idi Amin (Dada) in the movie "The Last King of Scotland". I had some reservations about the storyline, but every time Forrest Whitaker appeared, I didn't care about the story. I watched him in awe.

No comments: