Saturday, July 5, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 07/04/08: Sean and Ed, Blue Like Jazz, July 4th is Over!



1. The Deke and I had coffee with Ed this morning. Ed's son Sean was almost fifteen years old. He was a wonderful musician and one of the Deke's students. He'd been to our house countless times for lessons. He was killed a week ago when a New York subway train ran him over. It's a tragic story. It's hard to believe it really happened. Coffee with Ed was at once sad and a good as we talked about Sean, his family, his upcoming memorial service, and few things off the topic of Sean's death.

2. I finished Blue Like Jazz and it sent me back in time to when I worked the first time at Whitworth College (now University) and I today I went on the World Wide Web and revisited many of the writers and teachers who have helped shape my Christian experience and practice. I also read blogs of those who practice and understand the Christian faith differently and read theological arguments. I hate theological arguments. Isn't that funny? But, for me, when Christianity turns into a pissing contest, it loses much of its power. I'll be blogging about this later as I elaborate on my experience reading Blue Like Jazz.

3. The Fourth of July ended. Thank goodness. What a noisy, dog frightening, indulgent, careless, self-congratulatory holiday. American independence is obviously a very good thing. I hate the way it's celebrated, making it my least favorite holiday, one I dread. Moreover, I dread that the noise and indulgence will spill over into the fifth and sixth and so on. Sometimes around here, the dog frightening noise lasts for a couple of weeks. Shit.

4 comments:

MGM said...

Sorry about the loss of the student. If you got my email the other night, you know I'm working through a similar loss of a young person about the same age.

I giggled at your comments about the 4th. I do so embrace the same sentiments. However, I believe that Halloween remains my most despised holiday (does it even deserved to be categorized as a "holiday?"). Independence Day, despite loving our country and what it stands for, would be my second...for the very same reasons you noted. I am happy to live out in the country now where the noise and dark barking goes by undetected. While the fireworks are legal to purchase and fire off here, we have enough space around us to shelter us from much of the obnoxiousness.

Incidentally, if I had to place them in order of despicable-ness, I think Valentine's Day would be my third most despised.

Christy Woolum said...

We survived another 4th of July without too much distress. Whew!

MarmiteToasty said...

Goodness, hugs to you and Seans family.... how very very sad....

I love hearing my punk drummer son pick up his saxaphone and play jazz, it is soooooooo out of norm to what he plays in his band on the drums.... pure magic...

Your 4th July sounds long winded like our 5 Nov, but then I LOVE fireworks lol..

x

Kendra said...

Okay, this is so off-subject, and I of course offer abject apologies for the misuse of the comment box, but I just wanted to inform you that I finally got around to adding a blogroll on poor, neglected Soul Doubt (hardly ever have time to post these days- too busy chasing around my rugrat). But I wanted to inform you in particular, because I believe that back when I first began blogging, I was sadly inept in the ways of page element adding, and I asked you for advice on how to do it. You were helpful, but somehow I never got around to doing it.
Anyhow, I now have a full-fledged list, with you and your sisters' blogs on there, of course. Hooray!