Thursday, July 3, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 07/03/08: Happy Birthday, Zinc Plant Stories, Cal's Donuts


1. Silver Valley Girl was born July 3, 1963 and we had a good talk on the phone as her birthday began to take shape in Kellogg. I thought I'd post some pictures of her younger days:



2. Lamia prepared a knock out Indian dinner for Wayne and Beverly and Deke and me. Wayne worked summers at the Bunker Hill back in 1963 through about 1967 and it was really fun finding out people we know in common and to share stories about the wild and and dangerous days we both experienced working in the Zinc Plant.

3. I may have found a down to earth place to have morning coffee. Cal's Donuts on Garfield. I dropped in today and when I served myself the dregs from the bottom of the coffee pot, two different guys a little older than I am both commented that I must have been in the military in order to drink coffee like that. One guy said they used to use coffee like that in the Navy to scrub the decks. No one ever says anything like that to me at Starbucks. I was pretty fired up and, in addition, enjoyed the drama as the woman working the counter did not really know how to make a Mocha or a Latte, but she followed the directions written on a styrofoam cup and the two guys she made them for were happy and appreciated her dramatic efforts to produce their espresso drinks.

4 comments:

Nita Jo said...

Thanks for sharing the adorable pics of Silver Valley Girl. She's a dear friend and they were so fun to see!

MarmiteToasty said...

Love the old photos........ and I think its a belated HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO DEAR YOU to......... are you officially classified as an 'old geezer' now? :)

X

MarmiteToasty said...

Bugger...... it wasnt your birthday this past week LOL it was ya sisters old mans.... gawds sake....

But, happy belated one or happy future one whenever it was/is LMFAO

Whew.... got out of that one pretty easy lol

x

Christy Woolum said...

I do love those pictures. I remember when we got those Kodac Instamatics and thought we were Billy Hope. You took great people then... think about trying it again!