Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 07/01/08: Invited Back, Music's Power, Human Again


1. Evidently, the writers who attended last week's retreat were pleased with my work. I've been asked to return as the visiting writer. I accepted gladly. I'm happy to learn that next year's retreat will be on Lake Coeur d'Alene, meaning I can combine my work as a visiting writer with a visit home. Perfect.

2. I enjoyed owning up to my almost indiscriminate enjoyment of all kinds of music as I read comments at Hucklberries Online speaking highly of Led Zeppelin but denigrating bands like Journey and Kansas. I'm not sure it's musicianship that makes me enjoy different bands. I think it has a lot to do with what was happening in my life when I heard different bands. Journey and Kansas, for example, made music that is attached to momentous occasions and their music takes me back, fills me with nostalgic feelings I enjoy, and I'm always happy when their music comes on the radio or when a student plays their music in class.

3. I started feeling human today. My body was genuinely in a state of shock after my drive home Saturday from Pendleton and it took Sunday and Monday for me to recover and no longer feel beat up and fried.

No comments: