Thursday, July 3, 2008

Three Beautiful Things 07/02/08: Blue Like Jazz, Imago Dei, Silver Valley Obits


1. I spent some of the day reading Donald Miller's Blue Like Jazz. One of my students gave it to me as a gift and another, not knowing I owned it already, enthusiastically recommended it. I'll reserve comment until I finish reading it.

2. Reading this book got me bouncing around on the World Wide Web and I found the church very interesting its author, Donald Miller, is a member of . It's called Imago Dei.

3. I read obituaries from the Shoshone News Press and found out about some deaths in the Silver Valley I hadn't known about, namely Norma McGraw, Pat Sprute, and Bernice Mellon. Norma lived down the block from us. Pat was a star athlete at Wallace High School and played football at the U. of Idaho. I played some slow pitch softball against him. He's one of those guys who I always knew when I saw him, but I'm not sure he knew who I was...he was four years older and of a different athlete generation. Bernice Mellon was a school cook, notably at Silver King Elementary and then at Kellogg High School. She and her family were also members of the United Church in Kellogg.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife has been telling me to read Blue Like Jazz for six months. I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say about it.

MGM said...

I had a young adult client who referenced this book multiple times and highly recommended it. I have very little time for leisure reading, so I haven't read it yet.

I, too, will look forward to your commentary or review of the book to decide whether to spend my precious little free time reading it or not.