Sunday, September 3, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 09/02/17: Getting Ready, Julie and Curtis' Wedding, The Reception

1. I slept in this morning for an hour or so and woke up already feeling the thrill of this afternoon's wedding joining the lives of Julie Fether and Curtis Rockwell. I decided to be fastidious about my appearance, a rarity. I brought two pairs of slacks and two jackets and two ties to Huntingdon and I took some time to deliberate which ones to wear. I liked my history with my gray suit and chose it. I carefully inspected the jacket and slacks for wrinkles, pressed the slacks and then pressed my white shirt. I showered. I had one more decision to make: which tie? I decided on the more brightly colored one and tied a knot I was very happy with on my second attempt.

I decided I looked ready to be an officiant and strolled up the hill to Curtis' parents' home where Ken and Millie invited me in for a sandwich and a couple of cups up Constant Comment tea.

2. We arrived at Manor Church, deep in the country, and everything was ready to go. No last minute crises, no pre-wedding drama, just sound planning paying off.

The rain had let up so wedding guests were able to congregate outside the church and talk and laugh in happy groups. Those who were in the church were treated to a half an hour or so of gorgeous Celtic music by the Folkemer family who also enriched the ceremony with their playing.

The wedding party processed to the front of the church, Julie dressed in a Ukrainian wedding dress, her mother, June, and brother, Jamie, happy to give Julie away to Curtis.

The ceremony proceeded beautifully, focused on the strength, beauty, and durability of the invigorating power of love with passages from Shakespeare, the Song of Songs, Middlemarch, and Rumi along with a nod to St. Paul. Ukrainian traditions seasoned the ceremony.

It was a joyous wedding. As it drew to an end and Julie and Curtis received their guests, smiles beamed from every row of pews and every corner of the room. Julie and Curtis' family and friends are thrilled for their happiness and for the goodness their life together promises.

Officiating this wedding was one of the deepest pleasures of my life.

3. After the wedding, we all headed back to the Rockwell homestead for a lively reception featuring a generous table of appetizers, toasts, a musical performance by Julie and Curtis, gift bags, woodfire pizza baked on the spot, and, for dessert, cheesecake, various pies, and individually wrapped gobs (whoopie pies). I especially enjoyed the iced Iron City Beer of Pittsburgh, PA.

No comments: