Saturday, September 30, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 09/29/17: Morning Tasks, Wandering Parcel Comes Home, Upstairs/Downstairs

1. I got right back at it this morning. I emptied out more of Mom's kitchen and the Deke and I started rearranging where things go and thought more and talked more about our minimalist approach to furnishing the kitchen and the rest of the house. I loaded up the Sube with donations to the thrift store at Fuller Center for Housing in Smelterville, some stuff for the dump, and a load of dry cleaning. I also dropped in at City Hall and the water company to pay Mom's bills and ask about having the accounts put in my name -- that will happen when the ownership of the house has been transferred.

I wrapped up my morning tasks with a visit to Yoke's and bought our first real load of groceries.

Going around to all these places got me excited about living in Kellogg. Every single person I talked with was really friendly and very helpful. At Yoke's, two women around my age, one riding a shopping scooter, the other pushing a cart, were by the beer case in back complaining loudly and ceaselessly about President Donald John Trump and the day's news.  The woman in the scooter said, "Oh! Excuse us. We're just talkin' politics!" I replied, " Yeah..back here with all the beer!" She responded, "We haven't even started drinkin' yet!" I laughed, "That would really make things interesting!"  We all had a good laugh and I headed to the canned goods and they returned to their disgust.

2. While I was at Yoke's, I got a follow up call from the FedEx driver. It turns out he had delivered our wandering parcel to Dave Smith Motors and called me to say he'd be bringing it to our house in about ten minutes.

The driver was embarrassed and apologetic about his mistake and was mightily irritated that the guy at receiving at Dave Smith Motors didn't contact him to tell him a parcel belonging to someone else had been delivered there.

He relayed their conversation to me:

"Why didn't you tell me you got a parcel that belonged to someone else?"

"Oh. I don't know. I just got busy and forgot. Anyway, it was your mistake. You shouldn't have delivered that box here in the first place."

Shake my head.

3. I moved the boxes with my things out of the garage into the basement. Almost everything we had shipped is in the house now. Then I started working on the upstairs level of the house. We have friends coming to visit Saturday night and the upstairs needs a lot of clearing out and cleaning before we can open Mom's futon into a bed. On Saturday, I'll be making more donation trips and a trip to the dump. Luckily, the futon is in an open area upstairs and we don't need the bedroom. I can put a lot of things I need to consult with Christy and Carol about in the bedroom. I hope to have the area suitable for guests by early Saturday afternoon.










No comments: