Monday, September 11, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 09/10/17: Quality Sleep, Jack and Legos, Adrienne's Superb Salmon Dinner

1.  After walking several miles in NYCity on Saturday, I slept in until 9:30 on Sunday. Over the last couple of months, I haven't walked very much and I haven't flopped around in a pool since June. Most of my physical exercise has resulted from hauling boxes and other items in Kellogg. All this walking in NYCity was a boon and I slept with a length and depth I haven't experienced in months.

2. I'm unsure exactly what the event was, but today the main street of Nyack was closed to traffic and a street fair took place. I wasn't really interested in buying jewelry or eating Thai food or signing up for another Visa card, so when I went downtown, I didn't walk through the street fair, but made my way to Starbucks where I met Jack and the Deke. Jack had purchased a Batman Lego kit and finished it and, upon my arrival, the Deke went back to the store and bought Jack a Joker Lego kit and Jack and I sat in Starbucks while the Deke visited a yarn store. Jack didn't quite complete the Joker, but I enjoyed watching him follow the instruction step by step and start to put it together. For encouraging a child to sit still, focus, and work methodically on a project, these Lego sets are perfect.

3. Adrienne prepared a heavenly dinner tonight. She baked salmon, fixed fresh asparagus spears, and made buttery, creamy mashed potatoes using a variety of tiny spuds. The Deke had told Adrienne that she'd been craving salmon and Adrienne satisfied the Deke's craving -- and then more. It's been a deep pleasure for me over the last several years to see Molly, Patrick, and Adrienne all become increasingly interested in cooking and an even greater pleasure to enjoy the great food they prepare.

No comments: