Sunday, September 17, 2017

Three Beautiful Things:09/16/17: Panera and Flights, Family Pictures, Curry and Duckpin and YouTube

1. While the Deke had coffee at Starbucks with a friend she taught with at Dora Kennedy French Immersion School, I hopped over to Panera and enjoyed a cinnamon crunch bagel, toasted with cream cheese. Mostly I looked at the cost of flights from Spokane to Eugene, Chicago, Seattle, and Portland and familiarized myself with what airlines fly where and when out of Spokane.  I have no immediate plans to fly any of these places, but it was fun to poke around on Southwest and Alaska's websites.

2. I have narrowed down what of mine I'm shipping to Kellogg to about six boxes with one, maybe two, more to go. I'm sending a lot of pictures out west and it was fun to look at ones taken on two different family trips the Deke, Adrienne, Molly, Patrick, and I made to Kellogg in, I think, 1999 and definitely in 2003. Adrienne, Molly, and the Deke sang at Carol's 40 birthday celebration in Mom's backyard. That made a great picture. I also have a little collection of family portraits taken in 1999(?) on the old white bench swing in Mom's backyard featuring a variety of configurations of different members of the four families present that day.

3. The Deke and I had a very good Ethiopian chicken curry dinner, prepared by Hiram, at the Diaz house. The Deke complimented the main dish with a refreshing cucumber, chickpea, and feta salad. After dinner, the Deke and I went to Old Line to talk more about the upcoming week. We squeezed the last two half pints of Union's Double Duckpin out of the bottom of Old Line's keg so we now are certain that chances are very slim that we'll be able to enjoy another one of those fine beers while we're still in Maryland.  We were both pleased with our good fortune that we got to enjoy this beer one last time.

Back at our apartment home, I played a Levon Helm interview with David Letterman and listened to him sing a roots tune with the Paul Shaffer band. This led me to play a bunch of tunes from The Last Waltz and to a few songs by The Highwaymen and then I found a Letterman clip where Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash appear together on the show and I found a video featuring Waylon Jennings appearing on Johnny Cash's television show.  Oh, I also listened to Jerry Douglas with Paul Simon and another video of Jerry Douglas and Bill Frisell with Jimmie Dale Gilmore and a couple versions of Guy Clark's "Desperados Waiting for a Train".  Last of all, I played Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers perform "Runnin' Down a Dream" so for the 10,000th time I could bliss out to Michael Campbell's epic guitar solo.

Then it got to be past 1:00 a.m. and I flopped into bed.

No comments: