Monday, September 18, 2017

Three Beautiful Things 09/17/17: A Fun Church Visit, Boxes, Panera Dinner

1. The Deke and I went down to Hyattsville this morning and worshiped at University Christian Church, a Disciples of Christ congregation, and stayed for the church's fall kickoff potluck.   Two girls who were in the Deke's 3rd grade class last school year go to this church -- in fact, the father of one of the girls is the pastor. The girls are close friends and were ecstatic to see the Deke, as were their parents. I thought with how difficult teaching at Dora Kennedy was, it must have been satisfying for the Deke to have these parents, along with another parent who goes to this church, tell her what a great teacher she was and how much their children miss her.

2. Back at our apartment home, I taped up the seven boxes of belongings I'm shipping to Kellogg. Over the next few days, I could imagine needing to fill one more box, but I am very pleased that I've reduced my belongings that won't go in my suitcase or fit in the car to these boxes. We'll ship stuff in the next day or two and Monday is when Molly and Hiram will move our larger things to their house. They'll keep some of it and other things will go to the rummage sale at the children's school. We'll start sleeping at the Diaz house on Monday night and are still shooting for the end of the week as the time we'll hit the road.

3. We are running out of food in the house, so I went up to Panera and bought the Deke a chicken bowl and bought myself a ham and cheese sandwich. It simplified things at home a lot to eat some simple carry out dinner.

No comments: